Michigan Reefers banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
My Remora Pro is terrible. I know I have it overpowered with a mag 7, but it only produces very wet skimmate. I have the cup all the way up and have attached a 7" tube to the uptake. Now it finally produces some dry gunk, but I have to clean it every other day to keep the long tube workable. It used to work o.k. with the rio it came with, but I heard rio's are a disaster waiting to happen so I replaced it.

I have two Berlin HO's. They are very inefficient skimmers. I'm using a mag 7 on one and a mag 9.5 on the other. The 9.5 worked better than the 7. Not happy with these either.

I also have two Excalibers that I bought used. What a fine piece of engineering these are ;). They were always flooding the floor.

If I took all the money I spent on these pieces of junk over the years and spent it on one good one, I'd have been much smarter.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have the Aqua C, it does fine, but my tank is 30 gallons with a 26 gallon sump. I have a maxi jet 1200 powering it, needs to be cleaned every month (the pump), the skim-mate is good. I would not use it on a larger tank though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Euro Reef RS/CS 80

I'm running EuroReef RS/CS 80 on a 90 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump. I love this, I clean it once a week and I can see a lot of gunk it pulls out of my sytem/aquarium. I bought this in PetSolutions.com luckily I got this for 158 with freeshipping (originally around 200).

It does come with a Sedra motor.

·
Registered
592 Posts
skimmers

I have had a few skimmers so here are my thoughts:

Skilter: Uhh.....just don't buy it:)

Prism and Prism pro: aboslute garbage. They simply do not work well at all and when they do work require way too much "tweeking". Look elsewhere.

ASM: Absolutely great! I have one on a 150 reef, great skimmer, great price, a workhorse! ( a GS3) I have used both euroreefs and ASMs and euroreefs are definately better made, but the ASMs work just as well and are far cheaper. I also like how the ASM's collection cup unit comes off better than the euroreef. I do not know how much better the newer euroreefs with the ehiem pumps do.

Tunze: I just blew the dust off my old tunze 9010, and wow I forgot how great a skimmer this is! Unbelievable foam and such a small size......I do not know why I have not been using it constantly.-confused I think it works about as well as the ASM G3 or maybe better. Great skimmer.

D&D marine typhoon: my wife ordered me on of these for christmas (needed an HOB skimmer at the time) and WOW what a surprise! Built like a tank, easy to set up, and it produces really good skimmate. A bargain if you as me and FAR better than most other HOBs (remora, prism etc.). I have seen the larger unit the terminator 2 and it seems to work well. Both units are inexpenisve and built very well. I think the typhoon used to called the "skumsucker".....probably a good name change.

Won brothers: CHEAP! They do work, but are cheap! You really need to do some gluing and such to get them going. I would avoid and get a D&D marine typhoon for the same or similiar money.

Rio Nano: getting one soon, we shall see.

Sapphire nano: same as above. High hopes:)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
sean PM me your box is full. I can't believe you have graced us with your presence. I we want s skimmer update. That H & S I took on trade works great got it on a frag system only took me how many years has it been.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Update on the nano and the saphire:

The saphire skimmer works, but I am having a hard time getting it to skim dry, it produces very very wet skimmate, in fact I have to change the little cup often. So far I would give it a 5 out of ten, but I probably doing something wrong. It is built well, which is a plus.

The nano was just added to a tank and it seems to be marginally effective. I will give it more time, but for now it seems a lot like a better skilter. It is reasonably built for the price ($20), but the air inflow seems finicky.

·
Registered
592 Posts
update again,
The nano shuts off air input randomly, annoying. I have not really played with it much so maybe I am doing something wrong.

The saphire is working much better now! I only need to change the cup every few days. I emailed the company and got support instantly! Great customer service from Saphire, they even checked up on me to see how it was going. I am now going to 8/10 on this skimmer and 10/10 on customer support from saphire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All I can seem to get out of my Red Sea Berlin skimmer is really white foam. If I close the air off I don't get anything! Is that because of the cheap pump that comes with it? This thing is driving me crazy and I spent a ton of money on it!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have been using a coralife needlewheel skimmer recently, I figured I would throw it on the 30 I am running, since I got it for free with the setup. Overall, I am impressed with the amount of dry skimmate it takes out of my 30g...6/10.:cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The big disadvantage to the becketts is the obvious larger electrical bill, but more important the need to clean out the injectors more often than many of the other skimmers listed. I always recommend that people run a prefilter / sponge before the pump that pushes the beckett injector.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
jaimwolfe said:
The big disadvantage to the becketts is the obvious larger electrical bill, but more important the need to clean out the injectors more often than many of the other skimmers listed. I always recommend that people run a prefilter / sponge before the pump that pushes the beckett injector.
Where did you dig this thread from? It a one year old.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
jayj913 said:
anyone use a E.T.S.S 600 skimmer before?
I'm a big fan of the etss. Dentdominator clued me in on the etss 800. I run it on my 350gallon system and it kicks with an Iwaki 55rlt. One thing you have to do is match the correct pump with the skimmer or it won't do much of anything. I think the site is superskimmer.com for the etss info on which pump to use for the 600.

I ended up buying another 800 for the smaller system and so far it hasn't broken in. I'll re-post when it does.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
seastorm 75

Has anyone ever used these?I bought one at kees about 2 mos. ago and I think its great and costs under 100.00 It does come with a rio pump but when it dies I'll probably put a comparable eheim on it.skims the driest nastiest stuff I think I have seen.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts