Michigan Reefers banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
sealife systems impact 400 downdraft style

Im on my second sealife systems skimmer.I am turning into a true believer of these things. I bought the smaller seastorm 75 for my nano in march 08 and since then I moved to a bigger tank so I bought one of sealife systems downdraft skimmers the "impact is400" its huge and works great and for a price pretty much anyone into reefkeeping can afford. Anyone on the market for a skimmer should check out Kees. I believe its the only place that carries them. I might also add that these are the skimmers that they use themselves on their big frag tanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saphire Nano Skimmer

Just purchased the NC24 model. I can't get the foam dry enough to prevent the collection cup from overflowing! Any suggestions/insight? :flood:

·
Registered
11 Posts
aqua c remora skimmer

I am setting up a new 72 gal tank and have installed the aquac remora protein skimmer. It's been running for about 2 weeks now and is extremely loud! I purchased this one because of a lot of positive reviews that i had read, but can not stand the noise. Does anybody have a recommendation for a quieter skimmer - or do they all run loud?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm always hearing about protein skimmers, & I've had the 3 regular dealers I visit tell me I really don't need one. I've had 4 reef tanks now, the longest running 4 years, & never used one. No real problems except when a puffer died in one tank.
So, please, what is the real story on skimmers? Who does/does not need one for their tank & why? Besides removing particles my filter should be picking up anyway, what more can it do for me?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
well there are many different kinds of saltwater tanks, basically you dont need half the stuff we all put on our tank but we do it to make things easier/cleaner/ and to minimize the risk of things. i think of everything i purchase as a safety net. the skimmer prolongs my water changes if need be, it makes the water clearer, and takes out those stubborn particles in the water that a regular filter doesnt, i think you should try a skimmer or even have someone bring over a spare to put it on your tank just to show you what it pulls out.

is it needed...no

is it a wise decision. i'd say so

but then again, if it aint broke dont fix it, and if this work, they work ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks xbenx, simple & to the point just like I needed.
I read McDonald's great article on the site, most of it was over my head yet I did get the idea a skimmer could remove some of the things I might be interested in keeping. However, based on your advice I guess I'll look into an inexpensive model that I can just use occassionally, maybe before & after vaccuuming.
I've been very fortunate that all 4 tanks I've kept have ran exceptionally clean, as I followed a prep & stocking guideline from a book provided by my favorite dealer (The Aquarium, who've been in business 40+ years, & whose staff helped me set up an ecologically sound, vertually maintenance free, 50 gallon turtle tank with my son in 1985).
I liked your line - if it ain't broke don't fix it; somehow it seems the more I learn with the salt water the more potential I also have for difficulty/problems.
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Reef Octopus 200 New 2009 Design

Far superior to the old Octopus 200 has a new Cone neck and bubble diffuser plate. Rating B-

Pro: For the Price you cant beat it. It does a decent job and is easy to set up.
Con: The pump is big and energy inefficent. It is a needlewheel but it sometimes gets stuck.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The new design of the Reef Octopus is a step up from the old style.
And the price increase was very little.
The larger units can be had with Sicci motors.

I have a small Octopus "Older Style" on my set-up and can not complain.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Bubble King 160 mini Gen1

I'm thinking of going all out on a Bubble King Mini 160. The only thing is it is a Gen 1. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer? Or has anyone had a Gen 1 and then a Gen2? What is the difference between the two? How long ago did they come out with the Gen2?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Updates on skimmers?

For those of us currently in the market, does anyone have anything to add regarding new models or updates over the past year that we should consider before purchasing? Thanks for the detailed info!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
just thaught i would throw this in cause i didnt seem to see it in here who else is running a bubble magus or has had experience with them cause i seem to be pretty happy with my nac7

·
Registered
273 Posts
Eshopps s-150

I know this is old thread but Id like to know if anyone has any info on the eshopps s-150 with sicce pump? I have a asm g1 mini on my 60 gallon and have upgraded tank to a 93. It isn't large enough for new tank so I was wondering about the eshopps. Im limited to 8" wide. Thanks, Barry

·
Registered
80 Posts
Best I ever had.

REEF OCTOPUS BH-2000

I have two of them I run on my 55 gallon. However I would run one of these on a 135 gallon no problem.

This allows me to focus on a display fuge rather than a hidden sump.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts