Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I turned of my skimmer pump for some much needed cleaning. When I went to plug it back it is just vibrated around as if the magnet wasnt catching the cycle. I stuck my fingers though to help kick start it to no avail. Then I took of the cover and manually turned to magnet and prop again with no results any suggestions. By the way its a Quite 1 3000 pump.

·
Registered
285 Posts
chatter

If it's chatters it'll probably still work. The ends of the wheel where there are rubber knobs just put a touch of vasaline on the rubber and i'll betcha it'll work. It's just what i've done, i'm not saying vasaline is good for a tank. I think the rubber swells up over time and this will allow it spin again. Jmo

·
Registered
721 Posts
Could the pump be cavitating? I had a similar problem when I plugged the pump for my recird reef octo in. Had to get some water in there, and then everything was all good...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
take it apart..meaning take the magnet off the metal or plastic rod and soak them in vinegar...pour vinegar inside the pump. Give it an hour, scrub, resoak in vinegar if needed and then try it again. If it isn't calcium deposits on the magnet then it it calcium depostic on the rod. The magnet should spin freely on the rod that runs through it. I have had this problem with my skimmer pump. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
werdlone said:
take it apart..meaning take the magnet off the metal or plastic rod and soak them in vinegar...pour vinegar inside the pump. Give it an hour, scrub, resoak in vinegar if needed and then try it again. If it isn't calcium deposits on the magnet then it it calcium depostic on the rod. The magnet should spin freely on the rod that runs through it. I have had this problem with my skimmer pump. Good Luck.
this has worked for me on my sedra pumps as well. vinegar works wonders

1 - 7 of 7 Posts