Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really excited to be getting back in the hobby. I've been out for a couple of years after my 90-gallon tank was taken down after a pipe that broke in my plumbing. I am coming back bigger and better. My new tank will be a 195g tank built into a wall in my basement.

I've been doing a lot of research on skimmers but I am totally lost. I am looking for a skimmer in the <$500 range. Cheaper is better as long as I am still getting a quality unit. Here are a few that I was looking at...

- Super Reef Octopus 3000
- ASM G4 Plus
- Reef Dynamics INS 180
- AquaC EV-180

The skimmer will be going into a 90g tank that I am converting into a sump/fuge.

Any recommendations for the list above? Anything else I should add to my list?

·
Registered
32 Posts
you might be able to pick up a good condition used BK200. not sure what they run used. I run mine on my 4' cube and it pulls great. good luck!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd go with the the SRO 3000 that is probably one of the best skimmers out there right now and 3 year warranty with a more than a fair price your not going to go wrong with that choice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the ASM G4 with all the mods and now I have a SRO 5000 XP Cone on my 220 and its one the best upgrades I've done to my tank. I get 2X the skimmate from the SRO. I say go for the XP 5000, it will handle anything you put in there.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha, still sort of confused I guess. I was leaning toward the SRO though so this helps me. I think it's going to come down to what deals I can find but I'll be shooting for an SRO. ASM will be my #2.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I run an SRO 3000 on my 150 display with 135 basement sump and couldn't be happier with it. It pulls lots of dark nasty junk consitently and hardly ever needs to be adjusted once you get it dialed in. I would trust the SRO 3000 on the tank you are talking about. The 5000 might be a little overkill, IMO, unless you are going to be way overstocking the tank.

The research I did on the skimmers when setting up my tank seemed to indicate that the SRO skimmers were rated pretty accurately, and you would very possibly get worse performance by oversizing rather than going with the one that is designed for your tank size.

I think you can find the SRO 3000 new well within your price range as well. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts