Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Euro Reef RS-250 that I am trying to get up and running in my sump, I've had it running for a few days, it was working fine collecting good skimmate, and then it began expelling lots of bubbles in its output, unfortunately due to my setup it needs to output into the same baffle my return pump pulls from, all of these bubbles are shot into the main tank. Is this usual for an ER skimmer to do - in other words do I have to redesign my sump? Or is it a matter of adjusting the skimmer as I am thinking it should not be expelling that many bubbles.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There could be a few reasons for your problem. if the skimmer is new it need about three weeks to brake in. Do you have an ATO, if not change levels in your sump could be the problem. Also what depth is your water in your sump. ER run best at 8-9" of water.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the ATO, works great, keeps the level at just over 8". Problem is I can't keep it running throwing that much bubbles into the tank, its bad - I mean to the point the main tank becomes cloudy and all my coral and rocks get covered with air bubbles - luckily I didn't lose anything when I caught it the first time but now it seems to do this every time I restart it within a few hours. I've got a bag of charcoal that I freshened as first few times I started it I had foam over issues in the collector cup.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
you might solve the problem by putting the gate value mod on the skimmer? Other wise you might have to redo your sump. mind has to go though a baffle before going to the return pump so i hae never had this problem. The bubbles are unsightly but will not harm any of your corals

·
Registered
926 Posts
My euroreef did that. it will do that for a day or 2 or 3 untill it gets whatever it is thats not liking in your water out.place some ruble rock or a pice of something to defuse the bubbles at the outlet for a day or 2 and it will go away.when mine did that i was madd but after a couple of days it started to work great and i have no bubbles comming off of it at all.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Rascal, My skimmer is an RS-80, hwenever the venturi is less than half-way open, it throws tons of microbubbles into my sump. When the venturi is completely open, almost no bubbles leave the skimmer. Also, I took the long tube on the output off so the water is returned into the sump right near the surface. This way the bubbles have a higher chance of going into the air at the surface of the water.

·
Registered
675 Posts
This has been an issue with my Euroreef at times too. When observing the skimmer while this was happening there are two things that I noticed. 1) it looked like there were less bubbles in the skimmer and they seemed larger than normal and 2) the lower limit of the bubbles was much closer to the opening of the outflow. As I thought about how the skimmer works I began to suspect that there was too much water being pumped through, causing bubbles to get sucked out through the outflow. It made logical sense but I was using stock parts so that shouldn't happen, and the skimmer had been in operation for several years without having this issue.

Support for MandrinMan13's suggestion...
I decided that a thorough cleaning was a good first step, and while cleaning I discovered the problem! The air line was partially clogged. Ca had built up (my Ca/Alk was way out of proportion at the time) where the incoming air met the water and was restricting the amount of air being supplied to the needle wheel. This seems counterintuitive but less air = more water with this type of skimmer. I'm not sure that Ca build up is the issue for you but perhaps something got pulled into the air intake and is restricting flow? or if you have a valve at the end of the air intake get rid of it.

Support for Alan's suggestion (kind of)...
More recently, this issue has popped up again but this time I couldn't find any air restrictions. Sometimes unplugging the skimmer for a few minutes seemed to temporarily remedy the situation (until I turned it off and on again). Other times I let it run it's course and it would stop on its own. However, I hate salt creep (and the microbubbles that cause it) so I tried to reason it out again. With everything on the pump side checking out I started to think about the output. If you raise the output tube then there will be more water in the skimmer chamber and the lower bubble level should rise. But on the other hand raising the output will result in a wetter skimate. As a compromise I decided to leave the output pipe in the same position and instead raise the foam sleeve that goes around the pipe. Instead of the top of the foam sleeve being level with the top of the pipe it is now about an inch above the pipe. I've been running the skimmer like this for a few weeks and the problem seems to be resolved.

HTH,
Tom

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have to clean out my venturi and the air tubing every 4 days or so otherwise I have the bubble problem. The venturi accumculates salt creep really quickly. Its probably a good idea to check and make sure that you air intake equipment is clear!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts