Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a phone book worth of information on skimmers I just made the choich to try a aqua c 180 with a mag 7 pump. Now is their anyone out there that has some insight on this skimmer. (Tricks or setup tips)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most of the people that chimed in here and elsewhere told me to go up one size from the recommended pump. I had a Rio 2100 which is one of the recommended ones on the manufacturer's site. Not a big fan of Rio pumps so I put that in my ATO resevoir and I just switched to a Mag7 tonight {mfr calls for a Mag5}. I noticed an immediate difference. I have the EV-120 that hasn't been running 72 hrs yet so it has a way to go to fully break in. It is already doing a pretty darn fine job with my 70g tank & 20g sump.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read that but was hoping that a ev180 with the standard mag7 on a 135gal tank should prove to be more than enough????

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
mag 9.5 on the 180. i love mine on it. i have touched a dial in 2months just empty my 2.5g skimmate collector. don;t even clean the cup.

Jake

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is answereing a few of my ?'s too.. I am about to fire up my EV120 with a 633 gph ECO pump on it in a week or so, you dont find that much info on the EV skimmers, but it seems like everything I so see is good

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have a 180 w/mag 9, works great after getting it dialed in. I had to remove the gate valve completely with the mag 9. Its a good skimmer, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
One other good reason to upgrade the pump is that bio-buildup with lower the flow and make it less efficient. The mag 7 might be the best pump for it if the unit is not dirtied at all, but after time if you do not regularly clean the skimmer and pump the flow and efficiency will go down.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is music to my ears after shelling out that much money for a new set up you get worried about the quality of the product. I have heard some horror stories about some products not even coming close to what they claimed they can do. I am replacing a coralife 125 and it sounds like I made the right decision.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like I said, my EV-120 is a new installation. TAKE THE ADVICE OF THE OWNERS MANUAL !!! Where it says to leave the overflow tube from the cup running right back into the sump for the first week or two. It was skimming with the rated 2100 pump but BOY did it start kicking out clear water foam when I switched over to the Mag7 !!! It would be flood city if I had it going into a two liter bottle or something overnight. The manual says this is normal though so I'm really not too concerned with it. Just gotta be patient, which isn't one of my strong suits !!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 3

I am now on day three and this thing is a beast. I plumbed it through the side of my sump for space reasons and this thing rocks. It was easy to set up it does not flutter with sump level it just runs and runs.Thanks for allthe input.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine is just hitting the two week mark and you are going to be VERY happy what this thing pulls out of the tank .... it will take a little while for it to hit its stride but it is a dandy skimmer.

I'm really quite suprised this thing isn't a lot more popular or get more recognition. I guess because it looks unconventional people shy away from it. No mods needed, runs on a standard pump that sits in the sump, no needle or mesh wheels to wear out ... This thing is $$ well spent.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Day 4

I agree, I had such a small amount of room in my sump that I picked one that could be plumbed through the side with the smallest amount of work and from what I have seen so far this was with out question the best purchase in my reefer career. I am only on day 4 of the break in and cant belive what I am getting. The Aqua EV series deserves more props than what it has been getting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts