Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke the ceramic shaft in my Coralife 220 skimmer last night, almost right in the middle so it still works for now, but who knows for how long. My first thought was to just buy another shaft, but, because I have the old model they aren't available and the only option would be to replace the entire pump for $85. I never really loved the thing in the first place and I was thinking this would be a good time to shop for a new skimmer. Unfortunately, when I built my sump I only left 8 1/2" at the end of a 40L to accommodate the pump for the skimmer and hung the skimmer over the side of the sump. As I have discovered this really limits my options for a new skimmer, so far all I can find that will fit are the SWC's (150 bmk, 160 & 180 cone, $200-375) and the Tunze (9011 & 9016, $350-475), or of coarse replace the pump on my Coralife. The only other option would be to tear down the sump and move the partition, which would be a total PITA and take space away from my fuge.

Does anyone have experience or advice to offer with these skimmers? are there other skimmer that have a small foot print that I missed? I have read that any of these would be an improvement over the Coralife, true? My tank is a 150G reef set up with a low/mid bio load but I would like to move to a mid/high eventually.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Coralvue makers of reef octopus make a skimmer called a sump saver. The pump is inside the body. I have a reef octopus skimmer and can say that I am happy with it. It is somewhat sensitive to water level fluctuations. Have a look at their line of skimmers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fot the responses, I'll have to look in to the reef octopus stuff. Am I correct in thinking any of the other choices are better than what I have, or would have with a replacement pump?

·
Registered
207 Posts
skimmer

Have had both the reef octopus as well as the SWC 160 Cone skimmer, both have worked really well in my opinion. However I prefer the SWC, much more quiet. Both had small footprints and both were around $300.00

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AquaC EV-180?

I just came across another that looks like it would fit, an AquaC EV-180. Does anyone have any experience with one?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I Have the SWC BMK150 on a 120 and its working fine, the 160 cone is $80 more and has same bio-load rating, but I feel its more efficient. Either one will work. The BMK150 is great at 8.5 inches of water depth and I believe the 160 cone will work well for that. Currently have mine in 9.5 inches, but will be putting that on a stand with very soft feet to reduce vibration level even further. These are quiet skimmers and motors are cheap to replace if needed. Mine is 11 months old and working great, just give it a good cleaning every few months.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are great!

Thanks for the advice and new ideas. The SWC stuff sounds like it might be the way to go, highly regarded and cheaper than the others (a true rarity). I'm not going to be ordering one until next week sometime, so, if anyone has any other suggestions keep them coming. Thanks again.:3195:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts