Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, This is my third tank and it keeps getting Bigger and Better :)

7/27

start*

40 gallon (petco)
Bashsea Sump/Refugium
Bashsea Bio Pellet reactor w/NP pellets
SWC 150 BMK (bubble magnus killer) skimmer
Quite One 3000 (return pump)
Vortech MP10
6 36" T-5 HO Retro kit
Reefkeeper Lite w/SL1
Auto top-off
50 lbs. Dry fiji (bulk reef supply)
700 Glass-Holes overflow (toothless)
2X 3/4 locline returns w/Flair

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

I did my first water change yesterday its been 3 weeks since the tank has been up and decided to move one of my acans from a 10 gallon tank over to this to see how well it does.

new FTS

Acan

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha, canopy is awesome I hate light bleed and it does the trick!

Thanks again for the great deal. Forgot to add im pretty much done with the livestock for right now. I'll will be focusing on buying SPS in the coming months...

Maybe add one more fish 6 months down the road.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue about the PH...

I have two different PH probes for my Reefkeeper SL1 but neither one I can calibrate correctly.

The SL1 seems to be functioning fine with the 2 sensor switches but for the life of me I havent been able to calibrate the PH probes. I have both 7.0 and 10.0 calibration fluid.

I made sure all modules are updated to the current firmware, but I may try again.

There is absolutely no sand in the sump BUT I may choose to add some, right now the refugium section is being use for all the sensors and a MJ900 for the pellet reactor which is currently offline.

I have also ordered a additonal powerhead for the right side of the tank to help with dead spot on that side. Koralia Nano 425 pointed upward on the back wall should help I'm hoping.

I'm going to be running Kalkwasser in my top off soon so that should keep the PH at a increased level but I do have to figure out a PH monitor before I start using that...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking good! I fought with myself long and hard to do a BB on my 40b and didn't. Do you have a full tank, stand, and canopy picture?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is a full shot when it was getting built.

Also I now have diatoms everywhere! I threw in 3 large turbo snails to start cleaning up. but havent decided on a water change yet. I have heard different opinions on the issue like let the diatoms go for 2 weeks then do a nice large water change or start now doing small 5 gallon water changes per week. I dont know which one to follow? My skimmer is pulling out some very brown gunk for the past couple days since the bloom.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking good, but this is your 3rd tank and your only up to 40g?? Man I wish I had your willpower!! I went 12g to 180g.
Yeah, unfortunitly im still renting once I buy a house then the madness will start trust me :3195:

Anyone have an opinion on doing a water change now right after the diatom bloom or waiting a week or two to let it recede on its own?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well a water change will drop your nitrates and phosphates a bit and it sure cant hurt. Besides that your no doubt itching to do something with the tank so go for it. If your clear on ammonia and nitrite you may as well throw a few snails in also, and test the waters, so to speak.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well was able to test the water today.

PH 8.2
NO2 0
NO3 5ppm
Ammonia 0
Calcium 440

Tank is ready to be stocked with lots of corals!!!

acan is doing great in the tank

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I was contemplating buying a Metal Halide fixture but ordered new bulbs instead...

3 UVL Super Actinics, 2 ATI Aquablue specials, and 1 UVL Indigo Sun. I'll try and get some pics of the combination tomorrow.

I also picked up a green monti cap frag which I'll snap a pic tomorrow also. As far as diatoms there still coming and going I'm hoping they will clear out soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts