Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright...I have had just about every problem in a tank in the last few months. First, I had monti eating nudibranches. I lost some colonies and then quarantined my monties. Did manual removal and dipped corals in iodine baths. So far, so good. Next, red bugs. I got my hands on some interceptor, thanks to a kind fellow reefer, and took care of the problem. That was a few weeks back. No more red bugs and I have some left over interceptor to dip corals before they go in my tank.

Now....I have dinoflagellates! It looks like brown slime that covers live rock and makes strings with bubbles in it. It is not cyano. I have tons of flow, like 40x turnover. this stuff comes back quick and it ends up getting stuck on my sps. Especially my birdsnest. It kills the tips where the stuff gets stuck. Anyway, I read that if I raise pH I can get rid of it. 0 nitrates, 0 phosphate. I'm looking for moral support and some experience with this stuff if anyone has delt with it. If I didn't love this hobby, this would be the time to quit:eek:rder

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I found the best way to get rid of it is to remove as much as possible turn lights off for 3 days then do a water change and run some phosphate remover

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jason...I will try it. I hope it won't effect the sps in the tank. But at this point..I'll just do it!

·
Registered
425 Posts
listen to jason

i had your same problem and i took jason's advice...it worked, the man is a genius. i used a phosbane reactor, but it was blacking the tank out for two straight days that did the trick. the only thing i would suggest is when you are ready to turn the lights back on do it very slowly because my fish went ballistic;) best of luck man

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well....I did everything. I manually suctioned out as much as possible. Turned the lights out (as well as refugium) for three days and then did a 20% water change and changed out the FO in the phosban reactor. And....its back. The only thing it did was slow it down for a few days and make my green birdsnest bleach when I put the lights back on. A few of my other sps are a little lighter in color as well. I think it is a little too much shock to corals that are sensitive like sps. And besides..didn't work. Nitrates undetectable, phosphates undetectable. TDS on RO/DI is 4. I am very minimal with feeding, I only have 3 small fish in a 50gal with 20gal sump. I don't know what is feeding this stuff or how to get rid of it. Drives me nuts..it collects on the tips of coral and kills the tips. I end up using a turkey baster to squirt it off of the coral or try to suck it up...just comes right back:mad: Not sure what to do. I am transferring all of this to a 150 gal soon and don't want to bring it into the new setup???

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Wow man....i am not crazy....i am having the same problem...To a "T"...my huge Birdsnest colony dies..other corals are suffering..running phosphate remover changing it every day...lights out ..nothing Will stop this Monster....All of my params check smooth....i actually thought it was cyano untill i read this and i know NOW...

The stuff dances in the flow and no matter how much i turkey blast it and water change it keeps comming back..

I feel you werdlone.....i am so frustrated by this.....

How do we beat it? ...somebody has gotta to help us...my last battle almost broke me and i am sure this one will.....

Moral support

We are doomed..........-devil

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I was just wondering how this worked for you. It definitely is a frusterating problem especially when it grows so fast. Are your bulbs old?
If your tds is 4 maybe something is slipping by that is feeding it? The only other thing that I have used is Marine SAT. Its a bacteria to compete against algae for nutrients

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My bulbs arn't old....I am not sure what my tds is...i use water from meijers rodi unit..what does this thrive from...just acsess nutrients ...?

does it work like normal algae?

I i am noticing i am getting hair algae more then normal..whould that point to something?

..my kenya tree wont open but all my sps are okay ..not happy but okay..

- the BN

Any info would be great........:D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feed formula 2 and only a little bit..like a pinch each day. Occasional spot feed with rod's food (like once a week and only a little). Bulbs are 14k phoenix 250 watt that are about 9months old. I don't use actinics currently. Photoperiod is reduced to 9 hrs a day. I have a refugium with chaeto and live rock. I run a phosban reactor, carbon, use reef crystals salt, water changes every 2 weeks ~10%. I run a kalk reactor for all top off and a calcium reactor with ARM media. I don't add any supplements to the tank other than a drop of lugols iodine every third day. I run a coralife superskimmer 125 (this is my weak link) but it is pulling good skimmate.

salinity 1.025
dkH 10
Ca 430
mag 1340
pH 8.4 day 8.2 night
temp 80 day 78 night
nitrate undetectable (salifert)
phosphate undetectable (salifert)
flow--about 40x hr

just got an ozone unit and have started to use it hoping to zap any algae spores???? I'm lost on this one. The lights off worked, but not completely and put a lot of stress on my sps. I am almost thinking of breaking off all of my sps when transporting to my 150 and just cooking the existing live rock for use in the sump. Don't know how to do this with some encrusting montis though?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Btw don't be ticked i kinda Hj your thread...i am more along for the ride...this is devistating me....and i can only imagin how you feel:( ..

Nudis red bugs and this is a Hell of a party-cheers

At least you are moving to a bigger tank and can start over.....:D

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I would stop the iodine additions. Are you testing? Excess Iodine can encourage algae growth. If it were me I would lower my photoperiod down to 5 hours.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just went through this problem!

My topoff got stuck one night and overflowed all night dropping my salinity to .14..... After that all hell broke loose! I believe my tank went through a cycle again... All of your symtoms were present... bad algae covered the entire tank for weeks! One of my birdsnests died from it as well!
I ended up moving all my softies to a buddies house while I waited for the cycle to end...

Its now 100% back after 6 weeks! all I did was give up and wait! :eek: :rolleyes:

funny thing.. I didnt loose any sps... beside the nest:confused:
Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
you say your bulbs are 9 months old werdlone, probably time for new bulbs the color spectrum on those bulbs are more than likely starting to change. may not be the cause of the issue but its not helping you in the least.

G

·
Werdlone, Glad the interceptor worked...Sorry to here about your dinoflagellates...lower your light cycle to 4-6 hours...Run twice the amount of GFO & change it every few days..bulkreefstore.com (cheap) a ton of carbon & change it out every 2 days..It will absorb all the toxins from dino.....& keep your PH 8.5-8.6...You might have to slurry kalk quite a few times a day to keep it up..Ozone will help with the toxins too...Don't let this problem knock you down...I know you will beat it........Jim

LOWER LIGHT CYCLE to slow the growth
GFO to REMOVE ALL PHOSPHATES
CARBON &/or OZONE to remove toxin caused by dinoflagellates
High PH ----Must stay above 8.5

·
Registered
469 Posts
me too

My tank has been running for 2 weeks I used pure fiji pink for sand in my display sump and fuge, rodi @ 0 tds, 5000+ ghp flow. My first bloom included little blotches of dark bubbly slimmy ?????????-angry

The only thing I have put in my tank is kalkwasser which I did for one day about half a gallon drip. I read elsewhere that kalkwasser will leach undetectable phos from sand or something?:confused:

I am researching this currently because before I add any livestock I want to fix it...if anyone knows more about this theory please help us all!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts