Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at buying some hardy SPS corals. These will be the first SPS I’ve ever had, I do have a few LPS that are doing well. Will weekly 10-15% water changes with a salt mix that’s meant to support corals be adequate for SPS? I am running a skimmer and change filter media at least twice a week or as needed. I have a gyre powerhead that’s capable of 3000gph and is set to varied flow. My return lines flow directly across from the gyre to crest some more random flow. My greatest concern obviously is whether or not water changes will support the coral, if not, I do dose Kent 2 part every few days. Would daily dosing be enough to support SPS? I’m not thinking acros or anything challenging, just some stylos and some pacillopora, stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
Are you testing Alk, Calcium and other parameters daily with quality test kits? Your alk and calcium consumption will tell you if you need to dose more 2 part or not. Just dosing every two days will not get you where you want to be

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not picked up an alk test kit yet but I plan to before I purchase any frags. I meant more along the lines of whether I should plan on dosing two part every day or if weekly water changes would be enough?

·
Super Moderator
306 Posts
I’m not sure of your goals in terms of how much coral you’d like in your tank but you will most likely want to dose 2 part ( or Kalk which I hate) daily. Dependable test kits are a MUST HAVE for any reefer. I prefer Salifert test kits and use a Hanna Checker for my alk. I test 4 tanks daily and sometimes twice. Stability is key with sps- you need to be accurate and have no swings in parameters. I can give you some small pieces of beginner sps to try out before you start spending money

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely appreciate that, I’ve heard good things about the salifert tests from others. I’ll try those out, I’ve been using just the basic API brands but those aren’t exactly the most precise. I plan to have this tank up for a few more years until I finish college and would like to have a fair amount of good sized stony colonies. I’ll plan on dosing 2 part, it’s not that expensive and pretty easy to use anyways :)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
So I***8217;m looking at buying some hardy SPS corals. These will be the first SPS I***8217;ve ever had, I do have a few LPS that are doing well. Will weekly 10-15% water changes with a salt mix that***8217;s meant to support corals be adequate for SPS?..
It's quite likely that the water change schedule would be adequate for starters - a couple of small frags added to a couple LPS won't consume a ton from the jump.

Although Devon hates kalk don't dismiss it quickly. It's been used successfully for decades. inexpensive. reliable.

A passive reactor can be make with a pop bottle. Top off water flows through it, instant, rather constant dosing.

What have you been testing with the API kits? Values?

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts

I agree with both Jim and Devon, Start out slow with some eaiser frags like the slimmer or mt. Dew. Early on you can manage resource depletion with water-changes, in the evolution if you decide to stick with more sticks you may look deeper into two part or Kalk. Ofter in the graduation of things, kalk is the next step for many reefers. It is very simple to dose and cheap to purchase. Statistically speaking most hobbyist quit after 8 months, if you find yourself still here and growing your collection, you will prob be upgrading to a larger system which will require two part or a calcium reactor. Please realize that sps are not only tricky from an elemental standpoint but you have light spectrum and intensity, pest control along with flow and many other variables to consider. Start easy and see where it goes form there and good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
May I ask why you dose Kent 2 part right now without testing parameters? you might not need to does right now. Your system will dictate if and when you need to dose. First thing to do is order some reliable test kits. Alk, Cal, Mag, No3, and Po4 to start with. Then when you can keep all of the above parameters in check plus temp and SG you should be ready to add SPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts