Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purpose a challenge! Who out there thinks they can grow the best SPS? Let's start with identical frags of different species of SPS and see who can grow the largest, most vibrant mini colony in 3 months. Everyone thinks their reef philosophy and system is the best - let's test it out!

I am willing to do three frags for $50 and put half towards a cash prize.
1. Blue stag
2. Green millie
3. Blue digi

Who's in?

1. Three types of identical SPS frags (selected in a draft format for fairness).
2. Photo updates every two weeks - no touch up / adjusting.
3. 3 months of growth under any conditions.
4. MR Poll to deiced the winner!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would be even better is if everyone who entered was able to supply a frag to each participant.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think its a great idea! And yes it would be $50 but you have a chance to get more than that back I would imagine!! Maybe even do a runners up reward! Supply a frag in what way? Maybe as part of the prize?!! I'm in either way it will b interesting! Maybe trade a frag to you possibly for part of the $50? Just throwing ideas around.lol

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Yea you would have to swap frags. First off it would have cost you nothing if you won. Second the frags would be from your tank and already acclimated to your water, lights, flow, dosing, etc and I would have to acclimate mine. Its a good idea, sounds like fun.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I might be interested but can we pick different frags to start, the only one I don't have is the blue stag and the other aren't big enough for me to frag. I'd almost go four months to allow one month for acclimation and to heal

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Why not just have everyone that's interested head to a store at the same time and pick out identical frags. That way, you know you're getting the same colony type and no one has an advantage in terms of acclimation. And you each would have to pay the same amount. Then the winner can get a 6 pack of beer from each of the other entrants. That's always good incentive.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We should have everyone bring one type frag like a frag-pot-luck. That will eliminate any bias or advantage of home tank conditions. It will also get past the $ issue that some people are seeming to get held up on. I thought $50 with half going towards a price. $25/3 frags was a basically a give away. I do like extending the time period. However, I'm sure I can get some solid growth in 3 months :).

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just switched over to 100% LED so I would be willing to be the guenia pig for an LED tank grow out. I have no idea what to expect but I would be curious to see how it compares?

I will talk to you about it tonight

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
makes me consider giving sps another shot. but i think i will just watch for now, looking forward to voting on the poll.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Why not just have everyone that's interested head to a store at the same time and pick out identical frags. That way, you know you're getting the same colony type and no one has an advantage in terms of acclimation. And you each would have to pay the same amount. Then the winner can get a 6 pack of beer from each of the other entrants. That's always good incentive.
I'm in if we take this approach. I say we all meet up at a store that can order a maricultured SPS colony for us. We could also order it off of Liveaquaria.com. We frag the colony at the store or a fellow reefers house. Each participant pays the partial cost of the coral that is divided up. I can take pics of the fresh cut coral that each participant is given. I can then post the fresh cut frag pics on this thread or another.

Personally, I do not want to purchase a frag from a local reefer for this competition. It's not that I have anything against buying corals from local reefers, I just think this is the most fair way to compare growth rates.

Just my $.02,

James

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would like to see everyone bring a frag from their tank for everyone. However, I am not opposed to buying more coral for my tank :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm in if we take this approach. I say we all meet up at a store that can order a maricultured SPS colony for us. We could also order it off of Liveaquaria.com. We frag the colony at the store or a fellow reefers house. Each participant pays the partial cost of the coral that is divided up. I can take pics of the fresh cut coral that each participant is given. I can then post the fresh cut frag pics on this thread or another.

Personally, I do not want to purchase a frag from a local reefer for this competition. It's not that I have anything against buying corals from local reefers, I just think this is the most fair way to compare growth rates.

Just my $.02,

James
I like this idea...whatever you come up with you can count me in Ryan

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like fun to me, count me in!

My preference:

Have the orginal colony grower/seller that sells the frags for the competition be exempt.

or

Purchase a large colony from a store and frag it up, then a lottery to get the best/first pick pieces. Prefering an aquacultured piece to reduce quarantine time.

Matt L

·
Registered
161 Posts
You could put me in it sounds like a good way to see what is and isnt working with other reefers tanks and being they are all from the same parent colonies it should be fair, and intresting.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts