Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SPS Upgrade help?

I am upgrading to SPS corals and was wondering about more info, if anybody has something to share please do.
Also, fish?
I have:
1 - Yellow Tang
1 - Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Scotter Blenny
1 - Blue/Green Chromis
1 - 6 line wrasse
2 - Perc clowns (false or true I do not know for sure)
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Indigo Dottyback
1 - Coral Beauty (Yes I know get it out, I will be tearing down to get him but want to make sure there isn't something else I should get.
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
1 - (umm, can't remember name) red shrimp with white dots and white on legs?
assorted snails.
2 - Oysters

That's it, what do you all think?
Mark

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
All of the fish mentioned should be fine with SPS. Angels like you mentioned can be hit or miss. IME angels do better with SPS then softies and LPS. We currently keep a regal angel and scribbled angel in our reef with 95% SPS, no issues at all with nipping. Biggest thing with SPS is making sure you can maintain stable, good water parameters. If you keep a large bioload (unsure of your tank size), with SPS, IMO you need to be overskimming and keeping up on weekly water changes.

How reef safe an angel is also depends on feeding. If they are not hungry they typically will not try thins out of the ordinary. I love angels, have 4 currently in the reef with more coming ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. The only thing I have noticed is that the Angel nips at something simialar to feather dusters. I have lost the whole colony. It could have been something else as well because I did have a different wrasse that constantly nipped at corals. I have a 125g, with 15g refugium and 40g sump. I really like the colors of different corals. I have so far only been able to keep softies like mushroom, polys and zoo's. I have lost some SPS in the past. My param's are usually:
ph 8.2 - 8.4
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Amonia 0
Clac 350-450 ( I have had a hard time getting that up aqnd keeping it up)
salinity 1.23
temp 79-82

I feed 2-3 times a day with a varity of foods, frozen mysis, frozen rotifers, flake, dried brine, tetracolor tropical granules. Also, when I get enough growth from my algae(name?) for the tangs.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
What is your alkalinity? SPS will need this stable somewhere in the 8-12 range. I keep mine around 10.5, want to get it more 9-10 but my calcium reactor seems to want it a little higher.

I would recommend getting your calcium higher, 420-440 is typically recommend, some SPS guys like myself try to get it closer to 500.

What type of lighting are you running? For SPS halides or T5 HO will be needed more then likely.

If you are new to SPS, I would start with montiporas as they are typically easier to keep them the acros.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure. I haven't been able to check. I need a tester.
Salinity is around 31 and Specific gravity is 1.23

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run MH and blue atinics and moonlights. As I said I am trying to get my clac up. No money to get a calc reactor so I have been doing water changes and adding Seachem Reef Calcium.
Also I use Kent Marine micro-vert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts