Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is 2 weeks old, and I keep moving my live rock around for my future fish to have places to hide.

Is it ok to stack my live rock? I put my base rocks down before I put down the live sand so that nothing can dig under, but I'm a bit worried about the rocks that are stacked - will they fall down?

I would like to stop moving my rocks around so that everything can get settled, so I would like to know if I need to have everything back on the bottom...

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
your rocks may fall. It depends on how well you stacked them. there can be no 100% way to stack rocks and make them not possibly fall.

G

·
you can peg them together...Plastic coat hangers & epoxy...Just make sure thats how you are gonna want it...I ziptied some of mine...there are different ways to keep them up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My live rock is stacked. I just made sure the fish can't knock it over. If anything is knocking over my live rock it must be something big!

-Scott

·
Registered
425 Posts
stack them if need be. just be sure they are sturdy, also be careful with your fish selection. some species of goby will tunnel underneath the rock and cause them to collapse. just a tip

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I made sure I put my base rocks down before I put any sand in my tank. So, I should be good there.

My tank is a 29G Biocube, so I kinda didn't have a choice for creating hiding spots for my future species.

As always, thanks for the replies, peoples.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I found it simple to fit the pieces together like a puzzle. I did exactly what you said about putting the base rock down and then sand. I have a pistol shrimp who redecorates on a regular basis and he would shift rock in my 12g when he was there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hook 'em in.

I am new to the whole live rock thing too, but I do know that like anything else (logs, bricks, ect.) as long as you interlock them (like a puzzle) they should not fall.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
TwigMan125 said:
I am new to the whole live rock thing too, but I do know that like anything else (logs, bricks, ect.) as long as you interlock them (like a puzzle) they should not fall.
I agree, you have to find that Lego lock I like to call it. Large hermits and especially Turbo snails can be a problem sometimes. Urchins as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts