Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so currently I have a 24g Nano Cube that has just filled up to fast. Im new to the hobby.. going on a year. Im totaly into this and now it is time already to get a bigger tank (Didn't think it would come so soon...) I have not bought anything for the 90g yet, nor have i bought the tank because I am still looking.

My plans so far- I want a 90g+/- 10gallons, basicaly a 48" x 18-20" x 20-24" is what i've come up with so far. I'd like it to have an overflow and be drilled. I will have a refugium.. thinking 20g, is that good? In the 20g I would have the skimmer (NW octo 150, or? ), chaeto/LR/ possible sand bed, and return. That about covers that part. Now onto lights.. I don't know if i want to go MH or T5. Money is an issues (I say this because i cant aford the ferrari's of SW equip, hehe) im a full time college student and i work. I do want SPS tho and pretty much types of coral a mixed reef so to speek :).

Any suggestions, ideas or ways you would set up a 90g PLZ post and tell me about them. I have been researching but it is nice to get all the info refined to one section to make sure I dont forget anything.

Also I did just purches a 150w coralife halide for my nano cube that will be here wednesday. Problem being since that purchase I have decided I just need a bigger tank. So I might sell this for what I paid or incorporate it in the new tank somehow? altho If i go halide for a 90g, im sure i'd need 2, and pendants or something else would prolly be cheaper....

Picture of my current tank to give you an idea of what i have accomplished :cool:

Yes, that platecoral is dead on the bottom right, but loaded with babies!!! hehe

·
Registered
45 Posts
first off nice looking cube, i like all the different colors in there.

as far as lights for your 90, i just bought a 48 inch fixture from aquatraders.com
it has 2x250 watt MH and 4x65 watt PC and 6x led moon lights. i did quite the bit of research on this fixture and it seems the oddysea fixtures have come a long way since they where using the magnetic/tar ballast's. but for 379.00 delivered with bulbs (yeah they arnt the best but getting better) you really cant beat the price....in teh end i plan to change out the ballast for some ice caps probably but so far im definitely impressed by the quality for the price you really cant go wrong here..unless you independintly wealthy or something lol.

for a sump a 20 gal will work, but per sonly i would go for something bigger, as your going to have room for more than a 20 under your stand...ideally anyway hehe.

for instance when the pump shuts down on my 85 i need room for about 8 gallons to drain into the sump so it does not overflow on the floor. i picked up a 29 gallon and that left room for me to add a good size ATO and still conceal all my equipment inside the stand.

well just some advice from a noob hope it helps ya out

best of luck

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, sounds good i will have to check them lights out and a bigger fuge would not be a problem. I just wasnt sure if it is nessacary, of course can never go wrong with more volume i suppose :D

Anyone else with ideas? suggestions? advice? hmm and anything else to add :D

Really looking for good amount of advice, unless I have it down pretty well.. hehe im so excited to "setup my own system" as compared to my nano cube being all self contained. Although i did turn the back part into a fuge -devil

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
very nice cube. Love the rics.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice cube. I just upgraded to a 90 drilled and I made the fuge out of a 29. I have a hang on side skimmer for more volume in the fuge. I used 6 T-5's bought the fixture from a lighting supply and upgraded the reflectors to get more out of the bulbs, total cost was about $200 minus the bulbs plus $20 for the moonlights. So far everything is doing great, but not much in the tank yet. I moved some softies over from a 65 and they are definetly growing. I agree with going larger fuge if you have the room.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I cant wait to get this going. I will be taking the nano down after its up and running though.

Question: Wet/dry, canister filters... are they the same? what do they do? (filter obviously) but why do people use them? would i need one? I would find just regular bio filtration would be best, and a skimmer of course... could anyone leave some details on them.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Frozn, another reefer from Port Huron. I am also in Port Huron and I am in the beginning stages of setting up a 90 gallon acrylic.

As for a wet/dry versus a canister, they are different. I am not too sure on the specifics or either. I think a lot of people use a canister because they are easy to setup and require little planning/thinking to use them. I've never used one. I am not being mean, but I think a lot of novices use a canister for their "main" filtration source, whereas someone who is experienced would use it to pull out larger particles on occasion when needed:confused: ?? I personally would never use a canister filter...possible nitrate factory. As for a wet/dry, it can be more of personal preference. A lot of people who do "Fish Only w/ Live Rock" tanks use a wet/dry. Don't get me wrong, there are people who have reef tanks that use them and have success also. If you have a refugium, you shouldn't need any other means of filtration other than your skimmer, sandbed, plants/chaeto, and some chemical filtration/carbon if you wanted it. You could also throw some bioballs between the baffles if you wanted? Just make sure you wash them often or replace them often so you don't begin having nitrate problems. I hope this helped.

If you have anymore questions, ask away. Would you ever be interested in doing a group order for live rock, fish, etc...? I figure if we both live in the same area it might work?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Baboon, I believe you are the one that my girlfriend and I came to pick a couple of frags out of your nano cube last year? But as far as a group order would go, I would be for that. My girlfriends dad is also into reefing so he is who we have been doing orders with, so another person would be great!

At this moment though I don't believe I will be ordering to much. We plan to go to the frag meet in Lansing and that will prolly do it untill we get our hands on a 90g setup.

Another question.. I plan on getting a wooden stand to look nice and disperse weight better. My question is.. Do people do anything special to support the weight of a 90g tank? It is a bit of weight when full. I've heard weight bearing walls are the best. This tank will be in my room which is part of an addition that was built in about 2000. It will be on the wall where the addition started so i assume it is tied into the old existing wall which was an outside wall(weight bearing) If anyone sees any problems with this please let me know.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you have a basement or crawl space? It wouldnt hurt to put some extra support under there. Some concrete blocks or one of those steel supports that they use in basements could save some headaches in the future. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
217 Posts
tank

Frozn said:
Ok, so currently I have a 24g Nano Cube that has just filled up to fast. Im new to the hobby.. going on a year. Im totaly into this and now it is time already to get a bigger tank (Didn't think it would come so soon...) I have not bought anything for the 90g yet, nor have i bought the tank because I am still looking.

My plans so far- I want a 90g+/- 10gallons, basicaly a 48" x 18-20" x 20-24" is what i've come up with so far. I'd like it to have an overflow and be drilled. I will have a refugium.. thinking 20g, is that good? In the 20g I would have the skimmer (NW octo 150, or? ), chaeto/LR/ possible sand bed, and return. That about covers that part. Now onto lights.. I don't know if i want to go MH or T5. Money is an issues (I say this because i cant aford the ferrari's of SW equip, hehe) im a full time college student and i work. I do want SPS tho and pretty much types of coral a mixed reef so to speek :).

Any suggestions, ideas or ways you would set up a 90g PLZ post and tell me about them. I have been researching but it is nice to get all the info refined to one section to make sure I dont forget anything.

Also I did just purches a 150w coralife halide for my nano cube that will be here wednesday. Problem being since that purchase I have decided I just need a bigger tank. So I might sell this for what I paid or incorporate it in the new tank somehow? altho If i go halide for a 90g, im sure i'd need 2, and pendants or something else would prolly be cheaper....

Picture of my current tank to give you an idea of what i have accomplished :cool:

Yes, that platecoral is dead on the bottom right, but loaded with babies!!! hehe
I have a light and tank call me 810422 4957

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wasga said:
Do you have a basement or crawl space? It wouldnt hurt to put some extra support under there. Some concrete blocks or one of those steel supports that they use in basements could save some headaches in the future. Better safe than sorry.
That part where the tank will be placed is over a crawl space. Any quick and ez support ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as support ideas, you could go to a large scale hardware supplier (names withheld to protect the guilty) and pick up 4x4 and one of the square cement blocks that sits on the ground and the 4x4 slides into the middle of it. I cannot remember for the life of me what they are called, but they are used for building floors for sheds or sometimes for decks. The cement block just sits in the ground and you cut the 4x4 to be the right length. I would suggest cutting it to a length that allows it to wedge under a floor joist that is centered under your tank location. This will provide you with a solid piece of lumber that will support the joist and tank above.

I myself am just now looking to get back into the hobby as well, but cannot come up with the dough to do it right, so I just keep reading and waiting..... reading and waiting..... oh and getting more and more envious of some of these great tanks I see :)

Jeromie

·
Registered
768 Posts
As for filtration, a canister filter is really not neccesary, and a wet/dry will end up as a nirate bomb. I used a wet-dry during the cycling time of my tank to spped up the ammonia and nitrite reduction. After my tank had matured, I just went to a thick filter pad, to take out any larger particles, so they would not accumulate in my fuge. I clean the pad every week to prevent nitrates from building up. Your cube is really nice, and you'll love the extra room in the 90g!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts