Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
starting a nano Cadlights 8 gallon

On my way back into the hobby, Purchased a cad lights 8 nano and made the first mod since I would like to have a few sps corals. Added MP10 pump, to increase water flow however i came up with a different mounting method. I modified the tank to put the pump in the chamber opposed to hanging inside of main area to maximize space for coral and keep a clean look.

Reading on lighting options now***8230;
* Went with Nanobox Tide
I have a couple of frags in line, pictures not the greatest but you can get the idea on mounting.
*added

I am trying to keep the nice clean look, once set up I only want coral to be seen from viewing area. Not equipment ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing a little reading on LED's I opted for the Nanobox mini tide with Bluefish controller and moonlight options. Just about ready for slow stocking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Heard nothing but good things about the Nanobox boards. I actually have a V3 myself that I want to put in my DIY setup. I bought the board only & a Bluefish a while back, just haven't installed it yet. The lime LED' are awesome, I added one to my DIY setup & wow, what a huge difference! Makes the tank a lot brighter & crisp, but still get the benefit of coral coloration with the Blue & violet LED's. Good luck on the Nano, I have an 8 gal myself

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About 5/ 6 weeks now, coming along. Waiting for Neotherm heater to come in, have to get rid of that large bulky heater.
I purchased a few frag corals that are doing fine so far.
In the past i used a hydrometer, with the nano i am using a refractometer
Not sure what everyone else does but i have found it necessary to check calibration before each use with ro water that is within a couple of degrees to actual tank water.
(RedSea) Without doing the readings were all over the place.

Salinity has been difficult, have not nailed down exactly how much fresh water to use each day yet. An ato is on my list of equipment to get ;)
also have to learn how to keep hands out of tank.

Pic update
Looks like I got a bit of the underside of the tort, top is darker blue and green (California tort)

Just added a small birds nest frag today not in picture.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard nothing but good things about the Nanobox boards. I actually have a V3 myself that I want to put in my DIY setup. I bought the board only & a Bluefish a while back, just haven't installed it yet. The lime LED' are awesome, I added one to my DIY setup & wow, what a huge difference! Makes the tank a lot brighter & crisp, but still get the benefit of coral coloration with the Blue & violet LED's. Good luck on the Nano, I have an 8 gal myself
I like the light, first time owning an LED aquarium light.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been a while since I posted... I had a couple bumps along the way, I lost a couple of the initial corals. (I was bummed because I really liked them)

However I think I have the kinks worked out and I am seeing growth and progress. Due to the issue I backed off but I believe I am ready to add a few nicer corals again.

I definitely am seeing growth in the items I do have. Here are a few pics of the tank. I plan on doing a little something with the tubbing to tidy it up a bit.

I made this quite easy to take care of.
Added a doser to add top off water, after a couple months I then configured it to do automatic water changes. It removes small amounts each hour and adds the same amount of fresh salt water back..

My maintenance...
Use magnet on glass
When viewing I just glance to make sure my five gallon jug has plenty of new salt water, and the one gallon jug has fresh RO water.

I mix up and store additional salt water in basement so I can add if need be.

Biggest issue now I find is placement of coral, I have screwed up a few times. Not much room to tinker. I have been trying to keep my hands out. If you have hands in the tank its easy to break and knock things over due to the little amount of working space. The plan is to just add a few more frags of a couple colorful items. and if some of the frags I have already put in do not color up remove and replace.

I want to be forced to upgrade due to growth ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny seeing pictures, it looks like a cow pie with corals sitting on it.

It will have to do for a while, Only way is to remove everything and reset.

The corals seem comfortable, I will let them grow a while before trying to do anything.
Getting your hands in it sometimes makes it worse ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts