Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eventually i would like a sting ray in awhile but i was just wondering what would be a minimum tank size for a yellow sting ray i heard there pretty small and then you can slow the growth by having lower temperatures so i was just wondering let me know thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would consider something with a 72" x 24" footprint suitable.

The yellows are indeed one of the smallest commonly available rays, but they will still reach 12" in diameter.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
72x24 and VERY VERY OPEN!!!!!!!!!! they are very active and swim a lot.. nto many fish can be kept with them because fish will pick at their eyes and outter disk

·
Registered
24 Posts
The yellows are indeed one of the smallest commonly available rays, but they will still reach 12" in diameter.
True - They are one smallest Saltwater rays - but not the smallest. Not even the smallest in the genus. That title belongs to the Cortez Stingray (Urobatis maculatus) whic has a Max Disc width of just 9.5" - with a total length of just 16". The Yellow Stingray (Urobatis jamaicensis) can get up to 14" disc width & 26" total length.

The Cortez stingray can be kept in a 180 gallon tank (with very little decor). The Yellow actually needs a tank of about 480 gallons(9'L x 3.5'W x 2'T) at full size. And at least a 360 gallon tank (8'L x 3'W x 2'T) for an average size adult.

Like most sharks or rays in his book - Scott Michael's tank size estimations are too low for the Yellow Stingray.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Stingrays/Sharks in general actually do better in ponds... you can make a pond in any dimensions that you wish and generally cheaper than tanks, giving the elasmos more free room to swim! If you like the tank idea better, because of a side viewing, you could always add a side viewing panel made of glass or acrylic depending on size...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stingrays/Sharks in general actually do better in ponds... you can make a pond in any dimensions that you wish and generally cheaper than tanks, giving the elasmos more free room to swim! If you like the tank idea better, because of a side viewing, you could always add a side viewing panel made of glass or acrylic depending on size...
This is SOOOO ... True.

small ponds are best for any species of shark or ray.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you havent set up a tank allready, i would really look into getting a small pond setup if you have the space... basement, or extra room in the house is perfect!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts