Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow reefers! So I'm kinda new to the salty aquatic hobby but I can't really find a good estimate on how many fish I could safely put in my 90 gallon reef tank. As of right now I have the following:

2 bangaii cardinals
2 ocellaris clowns
1 fuzzy dwarf lion
1 snowflake eel
1 marine betta/ comet
A plethora of nassarius snails
A few cerith snails

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what the problem may be, the lionfish and eel keep to themselves and don't show any interest to the clowns or cardinals. Both are target trained and associate me as their main food source. I understand the target training may be a future risk on my behalf, getting stung or bitten, but that's the risk I take. Plus I have asked the wonderful people at fish doctors their opinions on the lion and eel. With assuming their educated opinion, have said that things should be fine then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, given I will have To find a new home for the lion fish and eel. After said is done, back to the original question how many fish could I stock in the tank having clowns cardinals and a marine beta?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had a few dwarf lions now and it'd be a stretch for the dwarf to pursue an average-sized ocellaris or bengai cardinal as both are just a bit too large for the lion's mouth. That doesn't mean that it can't happen, though, especially if your clowns are on the smaller side or the lion ends up larger than usual.

The snowflake, however, will likely try to get the smaller fish at some point. It may not eat them but I wouldn't be surprised to see it attack one at least once.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
I'd rehome the eel and the lion...sooner or later they will try to get the fish. Lions have been known to try eat fish nearly the same size as themselves.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well maybe I should convert my 55 gallon over to salt too, I love my lion and eel too much. The dwarf is soooo stinking cute, if he weren't venomous id try to pet him. He's like a dog in a fish body! On a scale from one to even, I just can't with him! Lol

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
...back to the original question how many fish could I stock in the tank having clowns cardinals and a marine beta?
With respect to 695 the estimate may be far to broad even with disclaimers. It might work theoretically but leaves out far to many parameters.
  • how much rock do you have?
  • how much total volume tank and sump do you have?
  • which skimmer are you using?
  • what type of flow to you have?
  • what are you stocking plans - which type of fish do you like?
  • what are your stocking plans - display type?
    • fish only
    • mixed reef

Lots of fish can be exceptionally difficult to do*. and expensive to maintain.
the losses can and have chased many out of this hobby. I would advise rehome in one fashion or the other the two aggressive predators, and then concentrate your efforts on doing what you have well.

HTH

*Chemistry and biology discussion reserved for another thread.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've had a few dwarf lions now and it'd be a stretch for the dwarf to pursue an average-sized ocellaris or bengai cardinal as both are just a bit too large for the lion's mouth. That doesn't mean that it can't happen, though, especially if your clowns are on the smaller side or the lion ends up larger than usual.

The snowflake, however, will likely try to get the smaller fish at some point. It may not eat them but I wouldn't be surprised to see it attack one at least once.
the lion won't typically eat a clown because of the slime coat they have.... one taste and they spit it back out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You can't see it, but I'm viewing this with healthy skepticism.

and no pants.
I'm on 2 years with mine. had them with a fu and dwarf but the fu died during a tank change over... adding another lion when I can get an antenata or radiates.

zero worries. people who say no have never tried it

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When you refer to a Fu, you mean a Fu Manchu right? I would love to find one but read they are hard to keep.
I've had 3.... shortest life was 2 years.

I think they're easier to care of than most say. i have terrible habits and rarely do water changes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That makes things seem better. Was on the fence about them. You know much about copperband butterflies as well? I'm trying to control an aptasia issue. These things are ridiculous! Read somewhere copperbands sometimes eat aptasia.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts