Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am currently looking at getting a smaller tank for about a month or two. I would be downgrading from a 75 gallon to a 29 gallon Bio cube. In a month or so once I finish my basement, I plan on putting a large tank behind my bar in the basement. So needless to say I would like to save the live rock that will not fit in the 29 gallon. ( I have probably 125 lbs total).
So the question I have is, can i put the live rock in a rubbermaid trash barrell (I currently use for RO-water), with a power head and heater? Also would I need any light for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If there is nothing on the rock you are concerned with, i.e. some types of corals. Then, I would put it in a Brute bin like pictured above or something similar with a pump for water circulation, put a lid on it and dump your water change water in there every water change with make up for the evaporation. Though, you may need to add some fresh RODI water once in a while as well, as not to increase the salinity to much. If you are using a Mag pump, you wont even need a heater.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If there is nothing on the rock you are concerned with, i.e. some types of corals. Then, I would put it in a Brute bin like pictured above or something similar with a pump for water circulation, put a lid on it and dump your water change water in there every water change with make up for the evaporation. Though, you may need to add some fresh RODI water once in a while as well, as not to increase the salinity to much. If you are using a Mag pump, you wont even need a heater.
Why use your water change water? This would defiantly raise your salinity!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.