Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I was convinced by one of my MR buddies to start this thread. Plus I figuired that I enjoy reading tank build threads, I hope you do too!It won't be done for a while, mostly due to budget reasons, but it will be a fun project to watch.

Step 1, get the tank!

This system was purchased from another MR buddy, Nick, a.k.a. nbd13. The display is a 275 gal., 60"L x 44"W x 24" H, 3/4" thick acrylic tank made by Envision acrylics. It has five holes drilled in the bottom for closed loop systems. Two 2" drains and two 1.5" returns for two CL, that were originally ran off of 2 Dart pumps, not sure what I'm doing yet. Then there is another 2" drain directly in front of the overflow box that runs another CL, and returns through four 1.5" bulkheads with adjustable jacuzzi inlets about 2/3 of the way up the back wall of the tank (seen in picture below). Also, there are three holes drilled in the overflow box for sump/fuge drain/return lines.

Heres the tank standing on its end (the black acrylic panel on the left is the back):

Heres the canopy (viewed from the top, laying on its back):

The sump is a 125 gal., 48"L x 34"W x 18"H, acrylic tank also made by Envision acrylics. It has different sections for skimmer, chaeto and rock, etc. (see picture). The is an 1.5" hole on one side and a 2" hole drilled on the other side.

This is the main project right now... rebuilding the stand. We had to cut it into four pieces (note the cut lines on the top plywood) to get it out of Nick's basement! :eek: With all the work I'm putting into rebuilding it, I could've just as easily built a new stand... but not like this. There are really cool looking pillar-style corners and nice trim, with a great looking canopy to match. I 'm not much of a woodworker, so I figuired just reinforce this stand. It's getting another piece of 3/4" plywood layed on the top, with 6" x 2"s ran horizontally underneath, followed by four 6" x 2"s vertically mounted runners. It should definently rejuvinate the stands structural integrity (lets hope!:eek: )

Heres the stand from the side, you can see the pillar-style corners from this angle.

Heres all the reinforcement boards and plywood getting their first coat of polyurethane protectant after being cut.

I plan on running this tank BB, with almost all, or strictly SPS.... god I love Acro! My favorite fish is the Pygoplites Diacanthus angelfish, aka Regal angel, followed closely by the Pomacanthus navarchus, aka Majestic angelfish. Since I have a large tank and love these fish (I kept a regal a few years ago in a 180gal. FOWLR), and since these fish can pretty safely be housed with SPS, I might talk myself into getting rid of my acans and other LPS.... but we'll see.

Equipment plans:

CONTROLLER:
Profilux controller....undetermined model

SKIMMER:
ASM, EuroReef, or Bubble King....undetermined

Ca REACTOR
GEO....undetermined model

KALK. REACTOR
Deltec....undetermined model

Lighting is too much in the air to list, but I know it will consist of four MH HQI lights, either 250W or 400W with most likely Phoenix 14K bulbs. I currently run Hamilton 250W HQI with 14K Hamilton bulbs. Also depending on lighting is a chiller. I feel I might be able to get away without running a chiller if I run 250W halides.

Well thanks for reading, I'll keep posting as this system progresses. Please feel free to post input, concerns or questions as it moves along!

-Austin -yes

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stunreefer said:
I might talk myself into getting rid of my acans and other LPS.... but we'll see.
ok ok... I couldn't do it. I got to looking at my LPS, and went to a friends house and was looking at his LPS, and decided the angels are no where near worth it. That idea of the angels lasted a solid 72 hours! LOL. Matter of fact I have already reserved an acan frag pack. I will post pics soon!

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
stunreefer said:
ok ok... I couldn't do it. I got to looking at my LPS, and went to a friends house and was looking at his LPS, and decided the angels are no where near worth it. That idea of the angels lasted a solid 72 hours! LOL. Matter of fact I have already reserved an acan frag pack. I will post pics soon!
LOL My next tank will be for a Majestic, I love them too! Keep us posted on the progress:D

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
stunreefer said:
Matter of fact I have already reserved an acan frag pack.
Here they are:

It'll set me back a week for one of the pumps... but its worth it!!! They look awesome. The stand is nearly put togather as of today, but I finish off the reinforcing tomorrow... will post pictures then.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nearly complete stand!

Finally I'm nearly done reinforcing the stand. 100+ screws, blood, sweat and thankfully no tears (lots of yelling though) later, its looking like a mega stand!

Heres the overall view, you can see the new top plywood here:

Heres the overall view from underneath. You can see the 6"X2" crossbeams laying flat underneath the old plywood, and the 6"X2"s running vertically under that:

This is a good view of the flat 6"X2"s with the vertical 6"X2"s under that. The flat boards run all the way across, except where there are holes drilled in the plywood:

This has been driving me INSANE!!! :eek: Everything meets almost perfectly except this seam... and of course its the seam in the front of the stand! Since the stands extremely secure now, I think I'll just use wood filler here (along with all the other seams), sand it down, and stain it when I stain the cabinet doors. Nobodies looking at the stand anyway, theres a 275 gallon reef on top of it:

Today I bought some 1"X4"s to run along the inside bottom of the stand frame, right now I have scrap plywood holding it together, and I hear I should run hardboard instead of the plywood. The plywood doesn't run the whole length of the frame anyways, it just holds the seams together while I attached everthing up top. I have to use 1"X4"s instead of 2"X4"s because of the sump size. I need every bit of room I can get, so I figuired I would take away 2"s total from each side, rather than 4". The 1"X4"s will be polyurethaned tomorrow, or when its a little warmer, then screwed into place. That will be it for the reinforcement!-devil

Next comes bulkheads, external pumps and plumbing. Well actually I have to get some old bulkheads out of the tank that are going to be a PITA! I might post with pics for some help. LOL. There might be an oceans motions in the mix, and that would come now, but we'll see. I'm leaning towards a wavebox. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Wow big project. I am just asking some question so to help out so here goes;

1. Where the 2 x 6's that are verticle cut?
2. Did you double them up?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then what is under the new 2 x 6 to hold them up? Please do not tell me nothing.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Wouldnt mind seeing this thing in person, could swing by tonight and see it, and make a coral sale while you are at it, cant wait to get the gorilla nipples!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
180wall said:
1. Where the 2 x 6's that are verticle cut?
The 6"X2"s aren't vertically cut, they are placed "vertically", rather than "flat" against the plywood above. (LMK if that makes any sense... LOL)

The 6"X2"s that are flat are screwed into the plywood above, and into the sides. The 6"X2"s that are vertical were wedged into place under the flat 6"X2"s and srewed through the ends into the sides of stand.

180wall said:
2. Did you double them up?
In the second picture you can see the vertical 6"X2"s... there are eight total. On each far end there is one, then another single on each end (roughly six inches further toward middle), then there is two in a row on either side of middle. They were attached to the inside of the stand, then screwed together.

I might not be understanding the questions right so please LMK. All and any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright Alright!

I'm finally done completely reinforcing the stand. I had a couple of 1X4s, and 2X4s left to polyurethane and screw into the bottom-inside of the stand. They are now in place, and I can move the stand around as one.
Here is the stand now:

I had a heck of a time getting the old bulkheads out, some of them were slip-fits that he cut off down to nothing! Mind you he siliconed every bulkhead on the outside. I brought home 2-36" monkey wrenches from work and was able to get them all off. All of the bulkheads in the bottom, which are SCH80 2" and 1.5" Hayward bulkheads, were removed and fully cleaned, gaskets checked for cracks or any impurities, then reinstalled. All the bulkheads in the back of the tank were replaced.

I have been working with Paul at Oceans Motions to get a superb flow going, and ended up putting in another 1.5" hole in the bottom (a big thanks to fellow MR's for helping with input on drilling acrylic). Today I put a corresponding hole in the stand. There will be 2 CL ran on this system... I'll post more details, drawings and specs on this later.
Here is a basic drawing of what the two CL will be:

The big advancement news is that the electrician came today! I had 3 dedicated lines installed, all protected by GFI. Two of the lines have four plugs each, and one has two plugs. I would've installed more plugs, but I am going to use a Profilux controller on this system, and they have digital powerbars you plug all your equipment into. The outlet install came out looking great!
Here is a pic of the outlets after stand was moved into place:

Here is a pic of the GFI protected breakers:

I'm getting pumped now!!!

I will be purchasing and cutting the pink styro tomorrow for under the tank and sump. I'm still waiting on the new bulkhead for the hole I just drilled, but once that arrives, the tank goes up on the stand, and filled with freshwater to test for leaks and remove corraline from sides. Only the bulkheads in the overflow for the sump drains and return will be utilized at this point, all of the other bulkheads will be plugged.

I purchased a Sequence Snapper pump from Deb at DIYReef (you can see it on the stand in the first pic), and picked it up at the swap. That will be the return pump from the sump. The CL's will run on Snapper pumps as well, giving my system a minimum of 25X turnover intially through 3 Sequence Snappers.

Once the corraline is removed, the freshwater will be drained out. Then comes the faux BB (BB with look of sand), and the inlet fittings for the bulkheads on the bottom and back, as well as the drain strainers. Once that is complete it will be filled with RO water and salt. Around the same time I will be constructing PVC racks/lifts for my rocks. Once that is done, my rock should be here, so I'm getting closer!-devil

Thanks for tuning in!

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: Tank on Stand, coraline cleaned!

On Sunday I was able to coax a few of my friends over to help me put the aquarium on the stand. I made sure everything was level, and added freshwater to begin what I thought was a rigourous task of removing an ungodly amount of coraline algae... It only took me three hours of work Sunday evening, when I thought it was going to be at least a week of working every night! I used these little white pieces of plastic, I believe its corian (sp?). It reminds me of a thick starboard, and was given to me by the previuos owner of the tank. He told me to use it to remove the coraline once water was in the tank, I figuired it would still be really tough particularly to do it scratch free. Well, I didn't scratch it once! Here are some pics:

BEFORE
FRONT OF TANK:

LEFT SIDE (the worst):

RIGHT SIDE:

AFTER (note there is dirty water in the tank from the coraline removal, the acrylic remains crystal clear)
FRONT:

LEFT SIDE:

RIGHT SIDE:

Since the pics were taken I was able to siphon all the crap out of the bottom, scrape the bottom of the tank, and siphon it again. I will be filling the sump soon and doing the same process on it. By this weekend I will have the main return pump plumbed in, and will probably let it run for a little while. Rock has been pre-planned and should be here on March 7th.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts