Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 46G bowfront tank that the center support broke loose. My husband has put a clamp across the tank to keep it from moving until I can get everything transferred in the 75G I am going to move everything to.

I read that OScars do better with a finer substrate. I have had oscars in the past but did not know what I was doing, just learning as I went. I love them. Very pet like and friendly.

I know they love to move everything around in the tank so I plant to put a pretty good sized clay pot in there. I understand that since they get mouth full of sand and spit it out, they can hurt themselves if the sand is too large and jagged.

Would regular aragonite be a good substrate? I am thinking it would help the PH balance. Anyone out there have experience and suggestions? I need to decide and get it so I can get this thing going ASAP.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
784 Posts
Pool filter sand is a popular choice with Cichlid people,it settles Nice and its small enough that they can suck on it and sift it and not get hurt:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It won't cause a ph or nitrate problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thank you. It won't cause a ph or nitrate problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Not at all, and when you put it in you only need a 1" -1-1/2" total.

Just make sure at least once a month you stir the sand around a little,it prevents pockets of nitrates from forming

·
Registered
175 Posts
Leslie's Pool Supply usually has nice sand for cheap, $8-9 for 50#.

I don't think you need higher PH (ie aragonite) with Oscars anyway as they come from lower PH areas anyway.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leslie's Pool Supply usually has nice sand for cheap, $8-9 for 50#.
I checked their website and am unsure of their sand. Zeolite is $25 for 25lbs
Not sure what sand you were referring to in the above quote. I only found Zeolite online. I live about 35 miles away.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I checked their website and am unsure of their sand. Zeolite is $25 for 25lbs
Not sure what sand you were referring to in the above quote. I only found Zeolite online. I live about 35 miles away.
Might be in s tore only. Maybe check out them or another pool store closer? Doesn't have to be theirs. You just want like #20 grit so it makes nice size grains and sinks well etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts