Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aragonite? I think it is for substrate, is that the same thing as live sand? Should I vac it regularly when I'm doing water changes or try not to disturb?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
In time all sand in a reef tank becomes live sand. Question is, did you just add this sand or is it already in your tank and for how long? How deep is the sand? If it is a DSB, I would not disturb the sand. Let your CUC that that for you.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the aragonite stuff it says it's live when you buy it I'll try and find a link to it, says it has all proper bacteria bla bla... It's only 2-2.5" or so not very deep, just wasnt sure if I should be stirring it up when doing water changes

http://www.petco.com/product/7452/N...-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I have a bag and maybe 1/3 of another in my 29 bio so it's not very deep like I said 2-2.5" and it's been in there since day 1 about 2.5 months or so

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm not sure I would stir it up anyway. You can always take the hose end when doing water changes and suck up any debrie sitting on the sand. I know there are some that siphon there sand. Though, I do not and could not tell you how often to do it. Maybe someone will add there insight.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol yea I don't mean stir it literally, but any kind of gravel vac/ water drain pump you use that you stick into the substrate is going to stir up some ****, I think I need more flow pretty bad, mp10 is also in my near future, will be ordering in next week or so

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
No, don't gravel vac the sand very often, if at all. It's better if you just let your inverts do it for you as they will do it over a slow period and this will not cause a mini cycle, which can happen if you stir it manually. My advice is to get a dozen or so nasarrius snails or maybe a conch of some type. They will burrow around in the sand and keep it from producing too much nitrogen. This is assuming that your aragonite mix is relatively fine textured. If it's very coarse textured, you may have to manually vacuum the substrate once in a while.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The live arogonite you buy from stores is maybe technically live in that it has some bacteria growing in it but not live in the sense that most hobbyists desire and what will eventually happen to it after being in your tank for a while.

This issue of vacuuming the substrate and disturbing it gets talked about a lot on MR. There is no problem vacumming the substrate. The issue is if you substantially disturb a sandbed that is deep enough to have developed anaerobic zones in which case you may be releasing toxins. But even with a DSB, you are not going to cause any problems if you are only disturbing the surface or the top inch or so. Also, you may find that whatever CUC you have doesn't actually remove all the garbage so go ahead and vaccuum it out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Let me explain it this way.

The beneficial bacteria that grow in your tanks that 'Live Sand' is promoting need oxygen to live.

Now ask yourself....how can this be in a sealed plastic bag. The answer is that when starved of oxygen and a food source those bacteria begin to hibernate and/or die off. Some remain alive.

The real answer is that these are among the most plentiful bacteria on earth, so buying a bag of live sand is like buying a can of dehydrated water. However, you have money, and somebody wants it out of your wallet.

All good points regarding anaerobic bacteria above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts