Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guy im new to the salt water stuff only been doin this for about 4 months now .well i just bought 2 20g tanks that i will be making a sump out of i was told that i should make a fuge out of it not sure what that is can someone please tell me what all i need to do and witch tank should be the return tank and the intake tank ....

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Probably need a bit more info - looks like you have baffles in them already.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Are the tanks drilled?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tanks are drilled and connected together . yes there are baffles in them one tank has 2 baffles and the other has three in it . im trying to make the most effective filter that i can..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can try they are under the tank as of right now. to get them out of under the tank i have to drain some water and move it away from the wall.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry i tryed to take a pic it is just way to hard to get a clear pic of it so i made this to show you..

there is a problem that i see , to me it looks like there will not be enough room in the 2 tanks for the water if the power goes off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
So you have them plumbed into the system already? Im confused. And I agree one big picture will help. Try uploading the pics to photobucket first then copy the image code and post it that way we can see the full size pic.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The drawing isnt bad. Put your fuge in the one on the left and your skimmer in the one to the right and every thing else should be good. Are they connected that low in reallity?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no it is not hooked up as of yet the last time that i did a water change i went ahead and set them in to see how or even if it would fit.

i hope that works that was the best that i could do without taking the tank down...:wacko:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes they are connected right now . i like that see that dang paint program comes in handy lmao... what was it that u wrote in the 2nd tank to small i cant read it.

what do i need to put in the fuge side to make fuge lol i have no idea what im talking about.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Skimmer and heater on the left side. For a fuge you need sand and algae may be some live rock. Do you have a skimmer already? For the pipe you could to keep the water level higher but I would cut it down a bit so the water was maybe a little higher then the middle of the tank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes i have a skimmer but it is a pos cheap one that once i get all of this up and running i will be getting a better one. if i cut the pipe that i was thinking of adding to the middle of the tank wont the water level go as high as the baffles in the 2nd tank.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Looks like a good set up. I wouldn't put the pipe in the fish tank. Leave the water been pulled from the bottom. This will keep more organics in that tank near the surface. Your skimmers output should be enough to stir that up a bit so it gets pulled through and taken out via the skimmer.
How many inches do you have from the top of the baffles to the top of the tank? You will want to leave enough room in those tanks for back siphon when the power goes out, that way there is no flood on your floor. I have about 3 inches in my 36 gallon for my 90 display. But, I have a hole drilled in my return line about a half inch below the surface of the water to act as a siphon break, it works.

As for the fuge or refugium. You will want some sand and Macro algae like cheato that is none invasive, mangroves, gracillaria (tangs love it). All depends on what you want to go with.

·
Registered
725 Posts
+1 skimmer on the left macro on the right and I see why they did that because it looks like you couldn't get just one bigger sump in there

I would put one baffle on the left side that goes to the bottom and water has to flow over and it will keep that side the same all the time.

Also I'm sure you don't plan to leave it there but just in case I wouldn't leave that powerstrip right above the tank like that, even if it can't fall in saltwater will eat that thing up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts