Michigan Reefers banner

What schedule are your sump lights and what kind of lighting do you have on your sump

• 24 hours

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • night time only

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • day time only

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • halides

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • pc

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • t5

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • other

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • no lighting

Votes: 4 6.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what timeframes people leave their refugium lights on?
I was also wondering what type of lighting people are using.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
24-7 but we just have basic lighting. We're ding some upgrading on it in the next few week's so I'm glad to see this thread. Will help us decide on what to do next.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a conversation with a fellow reefer today and he said a LFS told him not to run at 24 hours when he started his fuge. They didn't explain why and he didn't ask. Could this be because the co2 absorbed and converted by the algae's rapid growth would effect his ph?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I was always under the understanding that if you leave them on all day that there will be less of a PH shift...-confused

·
Registered
638 Posts
dentdominator said:
Two 96 Watt PC's

Sump lights come on after display tank turns off at 11:00 PM.

Sump,

On - 11:00 PM

Off - 11:00 AM
Ditto for me as well, except I'm running two 65 Watt PC's - 6,700K daylight on the same schedule. I also have my lamps mounted to a 10" wide flat polished reflector. -yes

About a month ago my ball of chaeto was about the size of a basketball . . . now it's about the size of half my 100 Gallon rubbermaid sump. :eek:
I need to trim it back a little, me thinks. It does seem to grow a lot faster under the two 6,700K lamps versus when I had it under a temporary 150W 10,000K HQI + 2x96 Watt PC actinics fixture.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Running a 175W Mercury Vapor DIY pendent (6500k) made from a Meijer $20 security light. and getting outragious cheato growth. on 24x7

·
Registered
18 Posts
wow this is great that this has been posted because I just purchased a 75gallon and I am trying to decide what type of sump to do with it . I have a 20 gallon that wouldnt be to bad for a small refugium but I also run my tank that im gonna tear down with a pro clear filter for a 75 galon . I dont know what im gonna do yet but I am looking for input . What do you think or what would you do ?

·
Registered
316 Posts
balz2dwall said:
Ditto for me as well, except I'm running two 65 Watt PC's - 6,700K daylight on the same schedule. I also have my lamps mounted to a 10" wide flat polished reflector. -yes

About a month ago my ball of chaeto was about the size of a basketball . . . now it's about the size of half my 100 Gallon rubbermaid sump. :eek:
I need to trim it back a little, me thinks. It does seem to grow a lot faster under the two 6,700K lamps versus when I had it under a temporary 150W 10,000K HQI + 2x96 Watt PC actinics fixture.
Well, you don't live very far if you are in Portage...I'll take some :)

same light times as mine. I only use a coralife though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
jck3120 said:
I was always under the understanding that if you leave them on all day that there will be less of a PH shift...-confused
the opposite is true. if you alternate times then theoretically you ph would remain stable because it is always daylight somewhere in your tank

1 - 15 of 15 Posts