Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 125 tank is coming along fine and today I went and picked up a 50 gal sump from great lakes 48lx12wx18h. So that means buybuy FX-5 finally!! I dont have a drilled tank so Im going with the overflow boxto the sump my question is this... How to determine size of return pump (i do plan on doing a T with a valve in case I have too much pump).

Or am i looking at this wrong??? Because the overflow box wont allow me to out perform the pump? Im not looking for huge flow because I believe better residence time in the sump/refugium is a good thing and I'l get my flow from my powerheads for the tank.

I have a Aqueon dual overflow box but Im going to plug one and just run it as a single since like I said above I want slow and steady vice trying to blow thru the refuigum as fast as I can.
Thanks as always!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I would run with both just in case. Get a pump with about 500-600 gph after head loss (I am guessing of coarse) but the overflow should be able to handle that. You need a pump rated for the overflow or less. The pump could out perform the overflow if you arent careful and that is not good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got it thanks... Got confused but thats what I thought you dont want your pump out running the overflow.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Is that dual over flow two separate skimmer boxes, or two U tubes? I googled it but came up empty - I only found two different sizes but neither were called a dual.

If it's just two U tubes, one will be sufficient for 350 to 500 (ish) GPH. One tube will have higher velocity through the tube which will help eliminate bubbles in the tube while still keeping the flow through the sump to a slower flow.

If it's in the budget an Eheim pump will do the job nicely.

HTH

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dual over flow, one box, two U tubes two downward holes I plugged one. The info for the box said it was 2200 gph.. which i figured was a little overstating it... Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts