Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I determine how much space I need to leave in my sump in case of power failure, so that when the display drains it will not flood my house.

My tank deminsions are(internal)89.25Lx21.5W23H ~(to the top of the tank) 21.5 to top of the drains

thanks for your help

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Work with 25% to 30% for power failure. Keep in mind it's very important to have siphon breaks closest to the surface in your main display tank.

The less water you can put into your sump on power failure, the better.

I skinned my cat to close with my power failure, It stops right at the top edge of the tank.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i do that i need a larger sump 25% of my 200 display is 50 gallons and my sump is only 50 gallons

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
******* reef said:
If i do that i need a larger sump 25% of my 200 display is 50 gallons and my sump is only 50 gallons

I might have confused you......Look at this picture of my sump when I was figuring out the percentages.

See where I wrote 50% 75% and 87.5 %. I figured my power failure between 75% and 87.5%

It's the percentage you leave open for power failure in the sump.

Keep in mind your siphon breaks needs to be close to your water level in the display tank.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why would it flood if the pump stopped pumping more water into the display tank. It seems to me if power stopped going to the return pump the cycle would stop. Unless you are dealing with a siphon style overflow.

I have a true overflow, not siphon. Will it still affect me. If it will, I think I am missing something here...:confused:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
According to your tank's dimenisions and how high your drains are, you will lose 12.5 gallons. On a 50g that would be 25%.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
Your returns in your tank act as a siphon. Depending how far in the water they are is how much water is going to drain into your sump. That's why the siphon break needs to be closest to the water level in the display tank.

On power outage.

G

·
a siphon break is a way for air to enter a pipe so that a siphon cant be completed. Its usually just a small hole at the highest point in the return plumbing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phong said:
According to your tank's dimenisions and how high your drains are, you will lose 12.5 gallons. On a 50g that would be 25%.
how did you get that number?? thats what ive been trying to figure out

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The formula for gallons is (LxWxH)/231 To figure out how much room you would need take the Length, multiply it by the width, and then again by how many inches in the top of your tank for the siphon break. so if your siphon will break at 4 inches and you have a tank with a footprint that is 48" long by 24" wide, the math would be (48x24x4)/231 and that will give you how many gallons you need to leave available in your sump. I hope this answers you formula question, leave it to the math nerd eh? :) LMK if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes thats what i needed. thanks for the help. I wanted to make sure my sump/fuge was going to have enough room. if Not i was going to upgrade my sump to a 125

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you also just turn off all pumps, allow the sump to fill to the top or where ever you want the water to stop, turn pumps on water level in sump will decrease to fill all plumbing then mark the water level on the sump. The mark will be your max fill line.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You can also just test it. Turn off the power and watch and see. Be ready to flip it on quick if you need more room. Those syphon breaks are a must!! The calculations can be off because of the volume of water in the pipes.

I am at the razors edge also. I am thinking of drilling an overflow hole that feeds an extra container just in case. When she starts up again it would be a little shy until I could dump it back in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Math?

I shut off my pumps. Display drians into sump until siphon breaks. It ain't overflowing the sump I am good. It over-flows and I need to a.) adjust the water level in my sump b.) get a bigger sump !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts