Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Long story short, My girlfriend and I combined our tanks into one. She had a 20H and I had a 15gallon. The tank that we used is a 55gallon. The tank has been set up for about 1 1/2 months. Everything is doing great, we lost a few members of our clean up crew but that was semi-expected.

That being said we do not have a sump hooked up, however we do have a 30 gallon acrylic sump below the tank. There aren't any holes drilled in the tank, so well have to use a over flow box.

This is what I had in mind for the over flow.

CPR CS Overflow Boxes

Now for the return pump/plumbing I have no Idea. Are there any kits that come with plumbing and a return pump? The over flow is rated for 300gph, so my guess would be around 400gph or so for the return pump because the water has to travel 3 feet upwards.

someone please chime in and school me. : )

Thank you,
Jake

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would recommend you maybe go one step higher for you overflow, that way you have more options for return pumps. I have heard very positive things about Eheim pumps here is a link. Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump

I personally like the danner mag drive pumps, they are very reliable and long lasting. As far as kits with plumbing, you have to do your own DIY pluming. You can get everything you need at lowes or home depot and be as creative as you want to be.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey Jake look into a mag drive 3, mag is a pretty good pump the the mag 3 will push exactly 300 gph at 3 foot. Your gonna love having a sump, your fish will love it to. (lots of benifits)

If you do decide to go up on your overflow size i have an 800 gph eshops over flow and genX 2400 pump that i used to use. Worked great at 3 feet. 30.00 shipped for both of them. Pm me if you want it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Guys thanks for the recommendations. I think that I will be going with the Mag 3 over the Ehiem reason being, price.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had a 55 gallon tank with a 35 gallon sump.

I used a Danna Supreme Mag 9.5B going to a SCWD (Squid) "Switching Current Water Director". This split the flow to each end of the tank, these ends were hooed up to a U-Tube with directinal returns.

I used an Eshopps overflow rated at 1000 gph. I used this setup for years, and it worked great! Nice and strong alternating flow!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 55 gallon tank with a 35 gallon sump.

I used a Danna Supreme Mag 9.5B going to a SCWD (Squid) "Switching Current Water Director". This split the flow to each end of the tank, these ends were hooed up to a U-Tube with directinal returns.

I used an Eshopps overflow rated at 1000 gph. I used this setup for years, and it worked great! Nice and strong alternating flow!
Thats what I got! The Eshopps is the overflow I have, I went with a pond masters 5. Its rated at 425 gph at 3 ft, so far everything seems good.

Thanks for all the help guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts