Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 60 gallon Deep blue RR Rimless tank (48x24x12). I have a 20 gallon long sump with 8" tall baffles. Is this size sump sufficient for this size reef tank? or should I be looking for something bigger? I'm new to the whole sump/refugium game as I have always had canister filters, should I be concerned with the sump overflowing in the event of a power failure?

Suggestions on Return pump size?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
The bigger the sump the better. Not only does it increase water volume (to dilute waste) but the more equipment you can get in there and not in your display the better.

It won't overflow if you plan it right...Its hard to explain...but the water in your main tank has a point where air will get into the plumbing in your overflow, breaking the siphon. When this happens, water will stop draining into the sump. Its usually just a few gallons. The baffle height will limit the amount of water in the sump during operation, and you'll leave enough room above them for this water that drains from the main tank to your sump during a failure.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Both ideas are correct here. The sump is plenty, and the bigger the better.

Technically speaking there's no such thing as sump sized to a tank. It's all about the flow and backflow. The more important questions are how are you planning to drain the overflow, and how much flow do you want/need out of your return? You would do yourself a favor by reading up on herbie style drains.

Look into the various DC return pumps. I'd suggest you not run more than 500 gallons per hour through the sump. I'd further suggest that less is decidedly more. A pump that claims north of 800 or so GPH against your total head losses would be adequate.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts