Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be switching salts from instant ocean to reef crystals. Do I need to take any steps in doing this or just continue as normal?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I find it makes life easier for me anyway to buy premixed salt from a LFS, pet connection sells it $1 a gallon at whatever salinity you want, they are on a rodi unit so it's not tap water and it's just easier lol, take a 5gal drum there every other thursday and use the whole 5 for my 29 biocube, done! Lol

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I find it makes life easier for me anyway to buy premixed salt from a LFS, pet connection sells it $1 a gallon at whatever salinity you want, they are on a rodi unit so it's not tap water and it's just easier lol, take a 5gal drum there every other thursday and use the whole 5 for my 29 biocube, done! Lol
Its great for a nano, but it can become a pain for larger tanks hauling all that water around. I switched to making my own recently when I got a 150 gal

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I just phase in as normal waterchanges.
+1. I have heard some say that you should slowly mix your new salt in with the old, increasing the percentage of new and decreasing the percentage of old over time, but I have never had a problem swithching salts "cold turkey" when doing normal 10% water changes. Even with all the new water being a different salt, the water in the aquarium is still mixed with 90% old salt.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
When switching to reef crystals you will have to adjust suppliments if you are adding Ca or carbonate buffer. Reef crystals is much higher in Ca and carbonate and possibly Mg. Good if you do not suppliment, but can be bad if you are running suppliments on continuous pumps and do a large water change with new salt without checking levels..... prolly would not have any issues though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts