Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8-bulb t-5 unit. The last socket and the third to last socket are having problems. The last bulb was blinking, the third to last was not lighting at all. The bulbs are 6 months old. I figured it was the switch which both of these are wired to, so I moved the bulbs and they are now both lit. So my question is, what is wrong? Do you think its a bad ballast? The other 2 sockets in the switch are fine, but I'm worried if they go off I won't have enough light. I only run 6 out of the 8, so so far it isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi, my experience is if they start blinking, it will get worse and is normally the ballast if bad. However you moved the bulbs and both are working, so it may be just poor contact.

In my Giesemann MH fixture I have 4 4ft T5's, one bulb burned out after six months, and the others are now about 10 months old. So you can also have a bulb with shorter than normal life, I would pick up a couple of spare bulbs, before deciding if a ballast issue.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
ballast

its the ballast. mine are reto thus external when I had the issue once I noticed that there was dust covering the ballast vent holes where I had them mounted. It might be worth gettig the dust out if it is a fixture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.