Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing my canopy now and have a couple of questions about how to install the T5 lights I am planning on putting in.

1. From everything I have read and searched for it sounds like I should have the bulbs about 5 inches above the water. Well, so far my design is dictating that the bulbs be about 7 1/4" above the water surface. is this OK?

I'm doing 6 54 watt bulbs in a 120 gal tank and not planning on any SPS type corals, but maybe a clam or 2.

2. The reflectors I got from Debbie have bulb holders with them and it looks like all I have to do is put the standoff on, screw the bulb holder to them, and then have the bulb hold the reflector in place. I do not need to actually mount the reflector in the canopy because the bulb will hold it in place. Does this sound correct?

3. For the ~4' 54 watt bulb I am planning to use what is the distance between the end caps I should be using? Should I just put a bulb in and set the distance that way?

4. I am going to be putting cooling fans in the canopy and have some computer fans that are pretty quiet. I am planning putting them on the sides of the canopy blowing in wards. The question is how many 2 (1 / side)or 4 (2 / side) total. Each fan blows 64 SCFM of air.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm not real familiar with T-5's But I know with the cooling fans that you should have 1 fan blowing in and the other sucking the hot air out.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What type of ballast are you going to use? The IceCap ballasts overdrive the bulbs. You get more light, or bang for the buck, but they also put off a lot more heat.

I'd say more fans, the better. Be it better to install them, and not have to use them all, then have heat issuse come summer time.

Henrey Hill is correct. Use the fans to push the air in one direction.

Fan blowing in*-------> canopy >--- *Fan drawing out----->

Good luck with your project!:)

·
Registered
604 Posts
1. 7 1/4" probably wont really hurt things too much, mine are about 4-5" from the water surface...

2. yup, the reflectors just clip onto the bulb. If you got the reflectors that are as wide as the mounting brackets, you can place the brackets right next to each other, but if you got the wider TEK II reflectors, you need to space the mounting brackets out a bit. I have the narrow TEK reflectors so not sure on the spacing of the wide ones...

3. You want the bulbs to be somewhat snug, but not tight. What I mean by snug is, the end caps have springs in them so get the bulb to the point where there is still a little wiggle room, or the end cap springs are slightly compressed. If they are loose, you could get an electrical arc in the endcap which could mean a fire hazard. What I did was install one endcap, then put the bulb in and dry fit the other end cap with mounting bracket on, get it snug and mark the screw holes. If you do this on both of the outside bulb mounts, then just get a straight edge and draw a line between the two marks you made for the holes and you can then easily line up the middle bulb endcaps.

4. I have two 80mm computer fans in my canopy as well, both blowing into the canopy (to keep salt creep off the fans) and I ported a couple 3" holes in the back of the canopy to allow the hot air to be moved out the back of the canopy.

Also, don't install the ballasts inside the canopy. You want them as far away from the canopy as possible. They get hot when the lights are on, adding unwanted heat to the tank and break down quickly in humid conditions.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responoses they will help alot.

I am going to be using the Longhorse 5 ballasts which will allow me to remote mount the ballasts in the basement directly under the tank. This is where I am going to have a majority of my electricall panel.

I was only going to have the fans blowing in like Tim because of the issues of salt creep as mentioned. I was planning on having some holes in the back of the canopy to help vent out some of the air flow. I will plan on putting all 4 in there.

Thanks again.
Now all I have to do is stop traveling long enough to get some time for projects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts