Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie and was hoping to get some advice on lighting...I currently have 2 96W PC on my 24" deep 65 gallon reef tank (lps and softies only). The bulbs need to be replaced, so i was thinking about making the switch to T5's. Do the T5's do a better job providing light to the bottom of the aquarium? What kind of cost would i be looking at? Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
yes t5's

much better several threads on them I have a sps lps tank keep several high light corals under t5 only. the cost depends on what corals you want to keep if you want zoo's pretty much anything though some of those are highlight as well.
if you want sps at least a nova extream fixture with ati and uvl bulbs I like tech and aquatinics fixtures talk to debbie or dberlin at diyreef on this sight she will help you. ;)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
No contest.

Do a search here, Argent posted some of before and after pictures of his tank, from PC to T5.

I also run exclusively T5 on an all SPS tank, they work marvelously.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have to agree that T5's are better. Less heat, bulbs don't degrade as quickly. Unfortunately for me, they don't make 30" T5 units, so with a 29g and a 40g high, I'm out of luck.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
depends on the corals you want

phughes577 said:
Do you think a nova extreme T5 4x39W would provide enough light? That fixture is fairly affordable...
not a hudge fan of them but they are pretty good they have done well for many. I feel that th lights are one of the most important parts of the tank so I think it deserves a decent budget talk to grim reefer at rc give him as much detail as you can he can recommend for the best spectrum and par I'ed also give him your budget and the coral you plan to have in the future

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1256520&perpage=25&pagenumber=38

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
problem with PC's is you have the portion of lights that are facing each other instead of refllecting out somewhere else, which loses some extra light that could be in your tank. They are great and still work, but I'm going to take a guess and say you'll probably enjoy the output of the T5's more.

As to the cost, it depends if you could re-use the ballast... and I hear not too good things about trying that, you could get some t5's used, depending on size for probably 150ish, or buy some new ones for 200-300, depending on what you're wanting, and that's on the low end, you could spend a hell of a lot more if you chose to.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If going with the Current fixture, go with the Nova Extreme Pro. It has the reflectors for each bulb and that's the key to T-5's. The standard Nova Extreme doesn't have individual reflectors.

I run the 48" NE Pro here and everything in the tank is happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts