Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this may sound funny... but umm... from where does a tang poop? lol. I'm only asking because I just got a yellow tang. He's been fine, got him on Saturday. Just now I was looking at him, and he's got this spider looking thing with long string like things coming from under him inbetween his front twin fins. Is this normal, or should i somehow get it off? It almost looks like a spider got sucked up and is hanging out?

I tried to get pics, but its really hard because he won't sit still! lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yep, comes out that way sometimes, maybe depends on what they eat. Just don'y feed him any more spicy Mexican food!:D

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yeah, whenever one takes a dump, the rest of the tangs come running - pretty nasty. I can't say I've noticed a pattern as to what food causes the stringy stuff. I give mine Dried seaweed on a clip in the morning and they graze on it all day. At night I alternate between flake food and frozen mysis, brine, krill, etc. They like to eat alot and crap alot. They are very messy fish that need alot of filtration if you have a few.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, just like dogs! Ewww... I just got him, but I've got some regular flakes, some mysis flakes with freeze dried mysis, and some brine shrimp flakes with freeze dried brine shrimp. I usually flop back and forth between the three. I know he loves green algea, but is that what it's called? Like if i go to the LFS and ask for green algea, they'd know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
632 Posts
As for the flake food, I use the Omega One Super Veggie Flakes. The dried seaweed (Nori) is the same stuff they use to wrap sushi. I bought mine at the Farmer Jack near me, near all the Asian foods, about $3 a pack.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I know a guy who gets the dried seaweed in bulk. I'll check with him to see what his source is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my purple tang too, the other day he pooped and jumped like he was trying to look at his butt, like a dog does when they fart. lol He actually
looked at me like he was embarrassed that I saw him do it. :D

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
aquanewbie said:
Yep, just like dogs! Ewww... I just got him, but I've got some regular flakes, some mysis flakes with freeze dried mysis, and some brine shrimp flakes with freeze dried brine shrimp. I usually flop back and forth between the three. I know he loves green algea, but is that what it's called? Like if i go to the LFS and ask for green algea, they'd know what I'm talking about?
Nori is very inexpensive and an excellent food source (the dried algae they wrap sushi with). I would also recommend spirulina flakes and a variety of quality marine origin frozen food. The dwarf angel formula and formula 2 frozen food by ocean nutrition are great nutritionally and found at most LFS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts