Michigan Reefers banner

Is there interest in a nano tank contest?

• YESSSS! YESSSS!!! YESSSSSS!!!!

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • NO!!! NO!!! NO!!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With certain conditions I would consider it!

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who would be interested in a nano tank contest? Fun little summer contest. Something simple... Under 30 Gallons, time frame, pictures, etc..... Taking suggestions in this thread and a poll for interest. Thanks!
Eirik

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, new builds. You can technically empty it and start over. We ALL start within like 7 days of one another.

·
Registered
620 Posts
it'd have to be 6-12 months, IMO.

i have a 10 that i could tear down and use. its my first ever salt/reef tank. i have a 40 that i received a glassholes overflow for today and im getting ready to get that up and going the next month or two. it would have to allow a little time for people to be ready (considering i personally know of several pay check to paycheck minimum wage students on the forum, myself included.)

i'd definitely be interested! conditions just must be met. time frames, start date, rules/regulations...

IMO, also, 30 allows a lot of room for error compared to a 5.5 or 10, chemistry wise, livestock-wise, equipment-wise. i feel it'd be interesting to require 10g or 20L, what have you. much more equipment regulation would restrict ingenuity and uniqueness.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it'd have to be 6-12 months, IMO.

i have a 10 that i could tear down and use. its my first ever salt/reef tank. i have a 40 that i received a glassholes overflow for today and im getting ready to get that up and going the next month or two. it would have to allow a little time for people to be ready (considering i personally know of several pay check to paycheck minimum wage students on the forum, myself included.)

i'd definitely be interested! conditions just must be met. time frames, start date, rules/regulations...

IMO, also, 30 allows a lot of room for error compared to a 5.5 or 10, chemistry wise, livestock-wise, equipment-wise. i feel it'd be interesting to require 10g or 20L, what have you. much more equipment regulation would restrict ingenuity and uniqueness.
This is exactly the input I am looking for. With a little more interest this project might become a reality in the next couple days.

I agree with all points and I just threw out some generics to simply inspire a little interest.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd be up for the challenge. What's the size range? Is it a use what ya got contest or ...

Would it be feasible to have everyone use the same tank? Something like those cheapys from Meijer that someone made a post about a month ago? You would have to use all original equipment plus you can add whatever additional equipment you'd like.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
230 Posts
It would be nice to get some rules ironed out soon and maybe more feedback I got a small tank im itching to get running :)

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little more feedback and interest would get this going. If not we will save this one for the winter and try something else.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
is it strictly reef/ coral? or can i enter my soon to be macro algae/pipefish tank?

also i would agree with allowing up to 30gal, because my tank its going to be a min of 30 gal (pipefish).

lets get this going!!!! im too excited!!

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We are going to put this on the think tank for winter / fall and are going to seek out sponsor involvement so we can get some tank combos or coral grow out packs.

We will re kindle a new thread like this when we iron out the details and present a contest.

Looking forward to it!!! Tank contests are my favorite!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
i have a 45 low, what would the rules be, i could fill it w 30 gallon.....? would be fun! whats the rules for filtration and all that?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Contests are kinda cool, for a little while.....

They can be a PITA too, as far as keeping to the rules, making regulations, ect.

I have found that the sharing of information is the best part of a cool reefkeeping website.

If you are going to have a contest- base it on sharing information, experiances, ect.

Alot of times, contests can be more trouble than they are worth.

If you want to do something cool for a tank contest, do a tank of the year maybe, or multiple tanks of the year, based on size, type of tank or any other catagory you wish. Possibly break in up into a few different types of tanks of the year. Find some cool ones on here and start a poll? Be alot easier than trying to get a TOTM or do a contest for one ytpe of tank, and have the ability to reward all the active members on a reef forum, and not just those that apply to the contest.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Contests are fun when people are willing to participate and having a regularly held contest be it monthly, quarterly, bi annually, etc would be a great way to keep the site alive and bring in new members. Prizes dont have to be big, heck I think winning a free year membership would be cool and sometimes just bragging rights are good enough. You could do smaller contests often and have an annual one with a larger prize or even a trophy involved which would be a crowd pleaser. what truly makes contests fun is just competing with enough people so it would really need participation from the regulars on here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts