Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we start this back up. I though this was going to start back up with the addition of the new MOD.

My 320 would be a good candidate.

Tom

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
As far as I know there hasn't been any talk about it for many months. We had very poor participation in the contest in the past and that is the reason it was stopped.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Perhaps then do tank of the quarter or year. There are many new people on here and looks like the hobby is ramping up especially during the busy season.

Tom

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Can we start this back up. I though this was going to start back up with the addition of the new MOD.

My 320 would be a good candidate.

Tom
Since I am the newest "MOD" I would think they would have mentioned this to me, but it hasn't ever been mentioned since I began. I know they tried it and had very low response. It is a lot of work to do when only one or two people submit a tank.

I am sure if there is enough interest we could try again but I would think we would need 3-4 tanks lined up and ready to go. Ideally dozens of tanks would be entered and we could choose the best each month and not just settle on the one that was submitted that month.

Let us know what you guys would like to see. We are always open to suggestions.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
The problem was submissions, it went great for the 1st month but after that there were no new submissions so they were pulling out of the original pool of entries and eventually just stopped. It is a ton of work for the mod who was doing it and with the lack of responses it fizzled.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe if there aren't alot of submissions maybe do a mod pull and say hey this guy has a great tank as a site we should honor him with TOTM? If the person wants to do it they submit pics and do a write up about their tank and it gets posted, if not move to the next person worthy of the "award". Again, just a thought.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would love to submit my 180 mixed reef tova TOTM thread. I have really been working hard on it, and my results have been very good in my opinion. Please consider reopening the TOTM. Just my .2 cents guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totm

I agree open it back up-

(1) If the concern is effort then the mod provides a template of required headers and allow the reefer to do the write-up.

(2) If the concern is that turn out and fizzling then run the contest quarterly. I know several tanks that I seen in the Members section that Id love to see the specifics eg. Johny and James.

(3) It gives members something to strive for and the site looks better as the data in the forums illustrates that the site is up to date.

(4) it serves as a great learning tool as many of us learn by example. Some ideas and pitfalls are communicated in the write up provides valuable knowledge for new and existing builds. Most of my ideas came from TOTM on Reefkeeping.com.

(5)I'd like to be entered into the contest.

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Patience is a virtue in this hobby tbd:) Its being discussed by mods outside of the forum.
Cool - I know I have been off of work for the past month thus being very active lately. I go back Wed and the busyness starts again. Look forward to the response.

Tom

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am also looking forward to hearing a response. Imo we need to have a TOTM , all of us put alot of time and money into our setups, and want to show the off. And if a reefer can obtain a TOTM win that just makes it feel like even more of an acheivement.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I can assure you we are working on the details of getting this going again. We should have an answer in the next few days.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I only have a 65g mixed reef, but have worked hard and would submit mine! Granted it pales in comparison to toms :) but I'm proud of it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I also like the idea of the Mods just pulling from the member's tanks area. Maybe the thread could be copied over to the TOTM. Maybe have different categories too.
Best Overall
Best Nano
Best FO

Don't necessarily need to provide rewards to all the winners. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I also like the idea of the Mods just pulling from the member's tanks area. Maybe the thread could be copied over to the TOTM. Maybe have different categories too.
Best Overall
Best Nano
Best FO

Don't necessarily need to provide rewards to all the winners. Just a thought.
Very good ideas and we are discussing the exact same options on the mod area. Looks like it will be a quarterly recognition.

·
Administrator
2,479 Posts
We are pretty close to getting this back under way. We have taken your suggestions into consideration and will be formally announcing the plans soon. But you guys have to promise one thing, that you guys will support it and actually post pictures of your tank!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.

We are pretty close to getting this back under way. We have taken your suggestions into consideration and will be formally announcing the plans soon. But you guys have to promise one thing, that you guys will support it and actually post pictures of your tank!!!!!
For sure. I appriciate opening it back up.

Tom

1 - 20 of 45 Posts