Michigan Reefers banner
1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  lostlife77 
#1 ·
Hey guys. At the coral swap, I picked up a Green Millepora, and some type of Acan. Today I went to fish doctors in Ypsi and picked up a green sinularia (tree?) and what I believe is a red lobo. Upon checkout, I asked what should I be treating my tank with as far as supplements? They sold me a bottle of "Fuel" by aquavitro, and Iodine by Lugol's. They said the Iodine is EXTREMELY concentrated, and to treat with caution. So I want to know, how do I treat/supply my tank with it? It is in a small glass bottle with an eye dropper. Says, "1 drop per 35 USG". I have approx 72/73 flat back hex tank.

How often should I add both of these supplements to the tank, and in what quantities?

#2 ·
Hey Brad, I'm not sure about the "fuel" stuff you probably just want to use that in moderation, but with the iodine I would pick up a test kit for iodine before you start adding it, as I don't think it's a good idea to be adding anything you not testing for when it comes to stuff like that, it's just the same as adding 2 part you can't just add it if you don't know where your levels are at to begin with and as far as iodine is concerend soft corals do benefit from it being at the right levels.

If you don't want to test I'm sure you could probably get away with a couple drops at it's recommend dose about once a month, I remember when I had a big softy tank I added it about once a month and that was all it ever needed, but I used a different product probably from Kent.

#3 ·
Whats up brad :

I was told that Iodine was not a good idea to use because u can over dose it ,and that the iodine is not want u want to be dosing i was told to use iodide from something like aquavitro virance is more stable and not as likely to over dose .i have been told from a few people that there really is not a good test for that . i also have been told that you would want to add stuff like that to you sump not strait to the tank but, i could be wrong or getting the wrong info or maybe got my facts mixed up.maybe someone can correct me if im wrong.

#5 ·
Just do water changes with decent salt... that should suppliment anything you need other than Carbonate and Calcium, possibly magnesium. Run a little carbon once a month or so to keep your sinularia from mucking up the water with toxins, and try to keep everything away from eachother. I will assume when you say millepora you mean Acropora millepora and not true Millipora fire coral.. Millipora is evil, I like it, but when it stings you will agree it is evil. Frogspawn and hammer can touch, but most of the other stuff should be kept away from eachother as the LPS has sweeper tenticles that will sting and kill other corals. The soft corals (sinularia and anthelia) will produce a toxic slime to kill other stuff.... enjoy your chemical warfare.

#6 ·
+1 to the above with using a good quality salt mix. Though, i do dose Fuel myself. I only dose about half the recommended amount daily. As for the Iodine. Dose with caution but test for it if you are going to do it. Most say you dont need and some say you do. I haven't figured that out yet. Other than that, the only other things I dose is ESV 2 part, Kalk in my top off, and MB7 daily.

#7 ·
I've also heard that it's hard to test Iodine and get a near perfect reading. With that being said...is there a specific of test kit that will test the Iodine to a pretty accurate level?

Also, as far as salt goes. What is a "good" salt to use? Lately when I've been doing water changes, I've been using the Red Sea brand in a black bucket.

#9 ·
"Good Salt" Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Red Sea, Tropic Marin, maybe coralife.... there are others, but I stick with the ones that have been keeping my critters alive and healthy for 20 years. Best to do a little homework on them before you try a new one.

Bad Salt, some of you might not believe it but there are actually stores that use rock salt (NaCl) as the only additive in their city water to house fish. There are some wholesalers who get by with cheap salt at the expense of the animals.

I prefer Instant Ocean for the basic reason that they have been around a LONG time producing consistantly good product and it is not so crazy expensive I am afraid to do a water change. Over the years I have tried a wide variety of different buckets, boxes, and square plastic boxuckets....:no:

#12 ·
Many softies benefit from additions of iodine, strontium and magnesium. If memory serves me right, too much iodine depletes magnesium in the water.

1 drop a day is too much. Iodine can be toxic to LPS and SPS unless you are doing an iodine wash in a quarantine tank. Even then it must be brief.

I once had a softie tank many years ago and used the Lugols solution in that tank. It was a 55gal tank that I only put two drops per week in. I figured I try it rather than a watered down solution of iodine. Within a few months my xenias were growing like weeds.

You must also take in to account your filtration system and if you are using a protein skimmer. A protein skimmer can suck a lot of iodine out of the water. If you are not sure I would recommend the Seachem iodine test kit and if you do decide to use this kit make sure you check the dates. An old kit can be very inaccurate.

I have never used "Fuel" I'm afraid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.