Michigan Reefers banner
3K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  slapshot 
#1 ·
My wife just called me in to check out a commercial...

Tanked : Animal Planet

Check it out, I think it's going to be awesome! Let's see if we can't get enough people to tune in so this one can make it past the pilot stage.

#12 ·
I will be watching this for sure!!

I hope that it might take a look this hobby from a better stand point from just lion fish and sharks... I saw a trailer earlier for this show, and among one of the first comments somebody puts down the actions of the cast members for how they acted with-in the trailer. Then BRETT1771, who is claimed to be one of the owners of the actual shop chimed in, in a very unprofessional manor. He goes on to invite anyone to call him direct.
An interesting read of comments...Should we be expecting more from "Tanked"?

I do not think it will be anywhere the quality of program like Planet Earth was, nor would I expect it to. Non the less I will for sure be watching every episode.

#15 ·
Exactly unless their plan is to endlessly add fish to the tank. Seems about their style. Also loved the dont put anything in the qt tank line. So now those poor new fish that are going to be freaked out to death are going to be able to be seen on all sides (even those 2 sides are up against the wall stupid lady) and have no where to go in the busiest room in a house. Thatll go well. Give em a plastic pipe or something!

#17 ·
Man I really wanted to like this show but what a disappointment! Filling a tank with tap water mixing salt in and tossing the fish in all within a day! I know that tv magic took out a lot of the wait but what about at least mentioning a cycle? This show has me worried that a lot of people will go out buy a tank throw a lot of fish in it and wonder why everything died. I thought the episode with the QT tank might take a good glimpse at husbandry.. of course they then filled it with huge amounts of fish right after they set it up.. Now I admit I am still a learning newb but they didn't show anything of use about aquatic husbandry. Not a single pound of live rock in a single tank, just same magical "life support system" that apparently takes the need of a cycle away. I know most of the world would just shrug and figure they're just fish but they're still living things. I would have thought Animal Planet would be more conscientious to the needs and well being of our aquatic friends. Anyways just my two cents sorry for the rant! lol

#18 ·
I agree. I was not happy with the show and will not be watching it. They don't even mention a cycle, and just go a pick whatever fish they think are cool, and throw them in. We knoe better, but think of all the people watching who want the same thing and think this is how its done? They ONLY stressed the importance of quaranteen - and left out all the other important stuff.

And just when we got past the "Finding Nemo" craze of everyone setting up a tank and dumping in clowns and an anemone...

#19 ·
Even my wife said last night, "how come it took you months and they do it in a day". The only explanation I have is they have a mature filter they use. They never really show the filter. But really, they must have put 15 domino damsels in that tank last night. They will be killing everything in a few months. I just don't get the tap water either. I thought they maybe bring their own water and they were hooking the hose up to a valve in their truck until the hot water episode last night.

First thing I thought of when I saw the phone booth was...who is going to clean the bottom of that phone booth? I mean the Coraline would be a nightmare! I would love to see what their tanks look like in a year. Did you all note the "sustainable collected yellow tangs". What the heck is that?

It appears to me it is not so much the aquariums they build, they are secondary to the "scenes" they create. That and the maintenance contracts.

#24 ·
I saw that also. Told my wife that tang has ich, There goes all those fish. Plus looking at that picture he has flukes also. I wonder if this is how they really FO business or is it just for the show?

On the food side at least they are FO tanks so they can treat everyone. Can you imagine the amount of copper to treat a 2000 gallon tank?

I would like to see the tank they use as a backdrop in their shop. The rockwork looks crazy cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I watched last night's episode with a fellow fish bud and found it mostly terrible. I didn't see the QT episode. This, like most reality shows, is all about the drama and that is something that our hobby doesn't need. I'll watch one more episode just to be fair but I doubt I'll watch any more.

The one cool thing was seeing my bud, Justin C. I can't wait to hear what he thinks about being on the show and the direction it's taking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.