Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a year or so of reefing I ended up with 3 tanks and hundreds of different corals. Each tank has its own system. After a few $500 dollar electric bills and having to manage each tank it has become a full time job. In addition to being new I have accumulated several invasive type corals that proliferate choking out my zoos and spreading like crazy. In addition to the corals I have well over 30 fish some very large in the tanks. I have some that are too aggressive (Ciminnon Clowns) and some that just eat and float (Cardinals). Inspired by Nicks 245. So now it's time to start over and do things the correct way. Therefore this starts my thread for my 320 GLA Build.

My Plan:
GLA's premium 320 Starphine euro braced glass tank 96X30X27 that includes:
Refugium with ato reservoir
Cherry Stand and canopy
QuietOne 6000 Pump (Anyone have pros and cons about this?)
Background
Plumbing
Additions:
Using my BubbleMaster 250 from my current tank
4 MP40W ES
4 200 Watt LED EVO
Move over my K2 Kalk Ractor
Buy a Calcium Reactor
I will select my favorite fish from the tanks and move them over.
Create some kind of unique and crazy Live Rock Structure
LPS and SPS Mainly but do like my frogspawn, torch, Hammers.

With all of that Said I will be selling my 180 and 125 for those that may be interested. I will also be selling all of my other Corals and a few fish. I just added brand New Bulbs In January for both tanks which have ATI 5t's Retro.

My goal is to go as efficient as possible especially in the pump area. Any suggestions, Ideas? The only thing I don't like so far is the insump pump but they swear by it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds great! I think you will love the depth of a 30" tank. There is so much more you can do with your aquascaping, and it looks alot more "reef like" in my opinion.

You are going to need a little bit different lighting though. The Evo 200w are nice lights for sure, but to get the spread you will need you would need to raise them up pretty high, and you would have a lot of light spilling over the side of your tank. If you have a large hood, you would essentially be paying to light the inside of your hood... not money well spent :jester:

My suggestion would be to use several smaller units. If you could do something like 4x 100w fixtures, you would be in a lot better shape. I'm speaking from experience here, I have the older generation evos over my grow out tanks. I've used them on several large tanks, and I have had a chance to play with a lot of different configurations.

As far as the plumbing and pumps are concerned, less is more in my opinion. If you can do it all with one pump and gravity, you will be a lot happier. Get something energy efficient. The Q1-6000 isn't very efficient, and it generate a lot of heat. I had one in my 180g a few years back, and I battled with the heat from it in the summer. Of course, two 400w halides didn't help, but a nice external pump would have made a world of difference!

If you can afford it, Dart pumps are nice, they are relatively quiet and energy efficient. You can use it for your return, and skimmer (depending on the skimmer you choose).

The biggest thing people get wrong when setting up a sump, is flow. People read pages and pages of articles that talk about turn over and make the assumption that they want to get there from their biggest pump. This isn't the case. You do want a good amount of turnover in your tank. And you will get that with the MP40's. You want the sump to be slower. The reason is, you want it to do its job, clean the water! In order for it to do that, it needs contact time with the water. if it's rushing through, it will never get a chance to get clean, and you will struggle with micro bubbles in the return. I would say that somewhere between 800 and 1200gph would be sufficient in your size tank. And you may want to use a nice large sump and make the fuge separate. Having a fuge/sump setup works, but not as well as having them separate.

The sump is intended to be a lower holding tank. It is a place to keep your filtration devices, and other equipment. A refugium is intended to be a place of "refuge". It should be free of antagonist and predators. This is where you will grow a lot of your pod population and its a great place for small detrivors like mini brittle stars. If you fill it with chaetomorpha algae they will all flourish and pods will be pouring out of it! If you can put the fuge over your tank, and have your return pump pour into it, and have it overflow into your display its even better. The pods etc will naturally flow out of it and be alive when entering the display tank. If the fuge is lower than the tank, the pods will get sucked up into the pump, and a fraction of them will be killed by the impeller and be pushed into the tank already dead. Its still good food, but not as good... Also, you need to consider the refuge portion for fish that are off their game. Maybe they are getting picked on, or they are making their return from being sick and quarantined for some time. The fuge is a great place to put them for a little while before transferring them back to general population. The will get fat and happy in no time!

No matter what route you take, I have no doubt you will love it. And from the looks of it, you will have no troubles at all maintaining it. Those are some nice pictures of your current setups. I can't wait to see what you do with the new one!

Happy Reefing my friend :victory:

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I DID It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I finally did it. Bought my new tank and put others up for sale.

I purchased the 320 Gallon with the Cherry stand and Canopy with recessed doors and 5 X 2 sump made out of tempered glass from GLA. Steve has been great and very easy to work with.
3 Mp40W's I already had one
4 Apollo Dimmable 120Watt LED fixtures. I like these because you can hook up to APEX via Ethernet cable and control and personally I like the owner Joe whom has been great with advice. I thought about 200 Watt fixtures but my point of the new build is to conserve energy and mitigate my out of control electric bills. The 120 Apollo Leds cover 2 feet and provide over 300 par at 25 inches which is what I need with SPS.

I am looking for a 2000 GPH efficient pump. < 100 watts
I am looking for variable dimming module(VDM)
I am also looking for WXM module for the Apex and MP40's
Also I have the Bubble Master 250 and am on the fence on whether to change it. What do you think?

Finally Why put in basement and waste the space? I am planning in putting in the stand. 96 X 30 is enough space for me to work.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent

Excellent Information +1 to everything said here.

Sounds great! I think you will love the depth of a 30" tank. There is so much more you can do with your aquascaping, and it looks alot more "reef like" in my opinion.

You are going to need a little bit different lighting though. The Evo 200w are nice lights for sure, but to get the spread you will need you would need to raise them up pretty high, and you would have a lot of light spilling over the side of your tank. If you have a large hood, you would essentially be paying to light the inside of your hood... not money well spent :jester:

My suggestion would be to use several smaller units. If you could do something like 4x 100w fixtures, you would be in a lot better shape. I'm speaking from experience here, I have the older generation evos over my grow out tanks. I've used them on several large tanks, and I have had a chance to play with a lot of different configurations.

As far as the plumbing and pumps are concerned, less is more in my opinion. If you can do it all with one pump and gravity, you will be a lot happier. Get something energy efficient. The Q1-6000 isn't very efficient, and it generate a lot of heat. I had one in my 180g a few years back, and I battled with the heat from it in the summer. Of course, two 400w halides didn't help, but a nice external pump would have made a world of difference!

If you can afford it, Dart pumps are nice, they are relatively quiet and energy efficient. You can use it for your return, and skimmer (depending on the skimmer you choose).

The biggest thing people get wrong when setting up a sump, is flow. People read pages and pages of articles that talk about turn over and make the assumption that they want to get there from their biggest pump. This isn't the case. You do want a good amount of turnover in your tank. And you will get that with the MP40's. You want the sump to be slower. The reason is, you want it to do its job, clean the water! In order for it to do that, it needs contact time with the water. if it's rushing through, it will never get a chance to get clean, and you will struggle with micro bubbles in the return. I would say that somewhere between 800 and 1200gph would be sufficient in your size tank. And you may want to use a nice large sump and make the fuge separate. Having a fuge/sump setup works, but not as well as having them separate.

The sump is intended to be a lower holding tank. It is a place to keep your filtration devices, and other equipment. A refugium is intended to be a place of "refuge". It should be free of antagonist and predators. This is where you will grow a lot of your pod population and its a great place for small detrivors like mini brittle stars. If you fill it with chaetomorpha algae they will all flourish and pods will be pouring out of it! If you can put the fuge over your tank, and have your return pump pour into it, and have it overflow into your display its even better. The pods etc will naturally flow out of it and be alive when entering the display tank. If the fuge is lower than the tank, the pods will get sucked up into the pump, and a fraction of them will be killed by the impeller and be pushed into the tank already dead. Its still good food, but not as good... Also, you need to consider the refuge portion for fish that are off their game. Maybe they are getting picked on, or they are making their return from being sick and quarantined for some time. The fuge is a great place to put them for a little while before transferring them back to general population. The will get fat and happy in no time!

No matter what route you take, I have no doubt you will love it. And from the looks of it, you will have no troubles at all maintaining it. Those are some nice pictures of your current setups. I can't wait to see what you do with the new one!

Happy Reefing my friend :victory:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
sweeeet! cant wait to see tank! did u op for black silicone?? what kinda timeline they give u??? I can highly reccomend the barracuda return pump w baldor motar, u can find them cheap on rc..... or the dart gold, they run silent and cool to touch... excellent pumps....! glad to c u on your way, love a new build!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Awesome! Cant wait to see this one. Look into the Reefoctopus waterblaster pumps they are awesome I use two of their pumps to run various equipment. I have a 7000 and a 10000 both running for less watts then the Mag I was going to run just for my skimmer. The 10000 is a 2600 gph and the 7000 is 1800 gph.
Water Blaster Aquarium Pumps | For Internal or External Use | CoralVue
there is a link to the site too.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes

Glad to see you went with the Apollo's I recommended :3195:

Good luck with the new tank setup
Yes it was a great recommendation. After watching the videos and all of the tests it added a spark of interest. Then when i found out you could hook up to apex and control the dimming with a simple ethernet cable I became very interested. Finally after talking to the owner Joe and receiving a dicount per fixture and combined shipping with great advice I pulled the trigger. Its pricy but he is clearly ahead of the others in terms of the technology. He even added UV LED bulbs which is one of the complaints to LEDS.

Are you going Sunday? If so Ill see you there.
Tom

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweeeet! cant wait to see tank! did u op for black silicone?? what kinda timeline they give u??? I can highly reccomend the barracuda return pump w baldor motar, u can find them cheap on rc..... or the dart gold, they run silent and cool to touch... excellent pumps....! glad to c u on your way, love a new build!
Yes Black Silcone. He said it would be about 6 weeks. Which will give me enough time liquidate the others. BTW, I wouldnt have done it if we hadnt met. After seeing your tank I couldnt get it out of my head how sweet it was. So of course I had to go bigger...lol. Plus I am excited about going SPS. The 100+ frags that I have are growing quick in the 90 and will need a bigger home soon. +1 on the dart gold it is on my list for sure.

You going to the swap? If so Ill see you there.
Tom

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Cant wait to see this one. Look into the Reefoctopus waterblaster pumps they are awesome I use two of their pumps to run various equipment. I have a 7000 and a 10000 both running for less watts then the Mag I was going to run just for my skimmer. The 10000 is a 2600 gph and the 7000 is 1800 gph.
Water Blaster Aquarium Pumps | For Internal or External Use | CoralVue
there is a link to the site too.
Wow the 7000 is only 88 Watts. That if very interesting. It is also 1800 GPH at 12'. But the pump looks like cheap plastic. Im use to the heavy duty steal Iwaki externals. How long have you ran it? Any problems?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow the 7000 is only 88 Watts. That if very interesting. It is also 1800 GPH at 12'. But the pump looks like cheap plastic. Im use to the heavy duty steal Iwaki externals. How long have you ran it? Any problems?
Check out the review over on RC for the water blaster pumps. They aren't cheap plastic in my opinion and are worth ever $ with that low of wattage.

Here's the link:
reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822299

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
About 4-5 months and no problems. It is built very well. I have had no issues with this pump its an ox! Like I said I put the two of them on a kilowatt and they use less power the the mag 24 I was going with. Almost 2 x the flow too.

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Status

:flood:Well I ordered 300 lbs of macro rock considering the deal I received 2 lb. I tore down my 180 and moved all of the fish and large corals to the 125 and smaller ones to the 90 frag tank. I also bought 50 lbs of Pukani which is great and I recelived alot for only 50 lbs but too expensive. I went with the reeflo hybrid snapper/dart for the pump. Steve at GLA is building my sump in tempered glass. The 4 Apollo LEDS are in in addition to the 4 MP40's. To control the LEDS and Pumps via apex I got the VDM and WXM for the MP40s. For the skimmer I am keeping my bubblemaster 250 and imporved it to quiet it down and made PVC fittings to hold the pumps better. For the sand I went with 200 Aragonite Live Black Sand. Since the refigium will have space for a frag setup I went with a cheap ebay 120 LED fixture. I will also be repurposing my advast k2 kalk reactor. I skipped on GLA box for the sump and went with two BRS 4 inch sock holders. Thats all I can think of now. Below are some pics of the skimmer, Pukani rock and overloaded Frag Tank.

I am still looking for a CA Reactor and a ATO that works with the APEX.

50 lbs BRS Dry Rock

BM250 and K2

Fuge LED

All Fish Together in 125 (I know its tight only a few weeks though)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tom, That's Sweet and I had to watch the frag video twice last night and probably could have watched it at least a couple more times....

I love it when a plan comes together.

Good Luck on the next steps!

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

Steve at GLA told me that there is 2-3 more weeks on the build. At this point I have everything I need to get started. I am looking for someone experienced in plumbing large systems. If it is you or you know someone let me know Ill make it worth your while.

With that said I received 350 lbs of Macro Rock, Live Black Beach Sand, and Reeflo Hybrid Dart/Snapper Pump.

Tank Goes here. I have 106" so its going to be tight

1 - 20 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.