Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to get a new setup probably a 220 but I want to do a reef and plan on having at least 250lbs of rock,I m actually working right now in Texas and went fishing and seen Texas holey rock everywhere nice pieces,my question is would it be safe for a reef as say maybe a 100 lbs of base rock and topped with about 150lbs live rock

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I've seen Texas Holy Rock in several aquariums. Some stores sell it. With that said, I would take it from a natural souce with caution as you dont know what is in the water. It is not a very porus rock but would still absorb some elements you may not want in your reef.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have some. its very dense, and hard to work with. but it does look nice. if you take it from a natural source, bake in the the oven first to make sure there are no hitchhikers.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The density exposes one of the problems with this rock. Light rock that the water can permeate is part of what makes it work. It looks great, but I would have a large sump full of rock that will do the work better if I were going to use it in one of my displays.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The density exposes one of the problems with this rock. Light rock that the water can permeate is part of what makes it work. It looks great, but I would have a large sump full of rock that will do the work better if I were going to use it in one of my displays.
well said :victory:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,I think ill just stick to some live or dead fiji for base,good point on it not doing its job by being to dense my last tank ran for 3yrs and never had so much as a hicup and I attributed that to the amount of rock I had..thanks

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
It is nice holy rock and a couple well placed piece for your base should be fine as long as the majority of your LR is nice porus rock with good flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts