Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just started my 30G Oceanic Cube build after waiting about 1 year to finish my floor. It is a 30G Oceanic Cube with stand with a glass door which I bought from Petsmart for ~200 on a clearance sale.

Stand is kind of non-standard and I cannot put any regular tank as a sump. So, I made a sump from a acrylic tank I got from Todd (TM01), cut to size and made in to a 4 chamber sump (18"x16"x12"high).

Skimmer is EuroReef ES5-3 (which is a overkill but I score a really good deal on this).
Return is a Rio HyperFlow 10HF.

Tank is drilled top-left corner for a 1" bulkhead and did a black-acrylic overflow box with no-teeth (looking close to Glass-holes toothless nano).

Rocks from Marco Rocks and want to start everything dry as I had lots of infestations with my previous tank.

I have a eliminator power strip with a portable GFCI just to make sure I'll have no surprises.
Will add picture later today.

All comments, suggestions and helps are welcome.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
water/leak test

Water/leak tested yesterday afternoon and looks good.
There's a one problem. Overflow drains fast and gurgle every few seconds. Does this means it drains fast. This is with fresh water and return pump at full blast with straight tube. I still have to buy U-tube return tube with flare nozzle.
Will this problem go away with a gate valve?
Anyway some pictures with water filled...

· Registered
440 Posts
Uh oh.

Your floor is doomed.

My wife made me put my tank in the basement because we have new wood flooring throughout the house.

It was a good call on her part, I would have ruined the floor SOOO many times by now.

They make these commercial carets that can suck up about 5 gallons of water. You should get one. Tank and floor both look great (for now)!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your floor is doomed.

My wife made me put my tank in the basement because we have new wood flooring throughout the house.

It was a good call on her part, I would have ruined the floor SOOO many times by now.

They make these commercial carets that can suck up about 5 gallons of water. You should get one. Tank and floor both look great (for now)!
Thanks but would you like to elaborate little further. _thanks_

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All, Finally I got my tank going and seeded with some live rocks from my tank that was established for about 2 years.
There's one problem though. Looks like Rio HF10 is too strong and my overflow box is still gurgling. There is no way I can do durso. Do you guys think that putting a bleed line to the return pump using a Tee and a ball valve is a good solution?
Due to gurgling I shorten the drain line to sit above water line and now I can hear water splashing like a waterfall in my living room-not fun LOL

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hay Guys,
I think some details of tank are overdue as this tank is cycling since father's day. Transferred pretty much all the corals from my 10G except a few. Some of my rocks have snowflake polyps and to me they are a troublesome coral that cover every square inch of liverock. So, my plan is to brush them off before putting anything in to my new tank.

The skimmer is humming along and moved my true perc to the new tank and also add a bengai cardinal and a 6-line.
Adding some photos and shows some progress along the way (frags on the sand bottom and then on rock... like progress)

Yay, I just figured how to post pictures through Photobucket. Here comes more pictures!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.