Michigan Reefers banner
221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
They always make those mucous cocoon pathways and nests. Kinda neat. It's also neat when you try to grab them and they rip in two and you now have two worms!
Man, you have a warped sense of neat! I was so afraid of losing a piece of mine. I could not bare the thought of two of those things.

·
Registered
181 Posts
These are very interesting but diabolical creatures. He has drilled holes in the rock throughout the whole tank. The sickest part was being in a tug of war pulling out all 5' of him inch by inch. He did not want to break free. I had one hand pulling on the the rat trap with the other hand grabbing his head with the tongs just in case he was decapitated or wanted to take a nip at my fingers. In the meantime he was fighting to stay enclosed in his habitat. I kept pulling on him until my hands hit the ceiling. This was all at 4:00 in the morning. My kid who was helping me was completely grossed out especially after he was out of the tank and #@#@# all over the floor. I have been trying to capture this thing for over a year now. Mission accomplished. The tank is noticeably quieter in the evening.

·
Registered
583 Posts
rock

if he's hiding in just one rock, take it out and put in a bucket of fresh water he'll get irritated enough to leave it in search of some salt water....

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I just read this whole thread, and you should contact Lucas Films about making this into a movie. I swear this whole thread had me on the edge of my seat. I was really rooting for you to win! Very suspenseful. I have to admit, I was waiting for a post to say: "Bobbit Worm 1, Slapshot 0, the little SOB bit my finger off tonight!"

Glad you got him, and meaning this in the most respectful way possible, I do hope you find some other creature in your tank, so I can read another entertaining thread like this from you. :victory:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Slapshot, you have just made up my mind about dry rock or live rock for my 300 g build! Thanks for the countless sleepless nights that I'm about to have! :cray:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Slapshot, you have just made up my mind about dry rock or live rock for my 300 g build! Thanks for the countless sleepless nights that I'm about to have! :cray:
Can't say as I would do anything different after that experience. Sorry about the nightmares.

·
Registered
6 Posts
haha...I'm just starting to get in to addiction and this probably wasn't the best thread to read :) It does have a better plot than most movies lately though. Thanks for the read slapshot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
worm

If anyone has one these worms dead or alive still I would really like to have it
or if any happen to get cought in the future please keep me in mind

Dale

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this may be a bit too late...

I am a Vet student and a problem that can occur in pets, is the consumption of gorilla glue. It expands in the gut and causes serious distension and impaction.

I think injecting a shrimp with gorilla glue would be a really cool experiment and I wonder if it would do the same thing it does in mammals, in a bobbit worm!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Mine is thankfully dead. They kept him for awhile at Choice Aquariums then they put him in Formaldehyde and ended up giving him to a biology student when they closed the store.

I never tried gorilla glue but I would have!!! My guess, anything that eats SPS like it was ice cream and had no issues with broken glass probably would have no issue with anything!!!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Sorry, long gone and with good riddance. Choice Aquariums had him alive for awhile then in a jar of formaldehyde but I don't know what they did with him when the went out of business. I do think Trop had one in formaldehyde. You might check with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry buddy the last post I made for one here was I think 6 years ago I haven't seen one in a long time wish I did the one I had was close to 5 feet and about 2" around with a terrible set of mandibles darn thing could cut hard frozen shrimp in 2 with no problem could do your finger if you where not paying attention while feeding

·
Registered
6 Posts
darn! Im working hard on tracking one down! if you all have any connections or leads that would be very appreciated! They sound crazy! especially with the frozen shrimp like that, wow! so how exactly did you come across yours?

221 - 240 of 265 Posts