Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine had his thermometer break inside the tank and he is afraid this will harm the fish. I am afraid that may happen as well but I really have no idea but don't think it can be good. Anybody have any ideas? He has cleaned it out as best he can but says there are still some little black balls in the tank?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yikes! I would get every black ball/bead out. He may just need to suction it out using a cloth and bowl at the other end to keep them and the sand from going down the drain.

I would also make sure that in the process of sucking out the therm. junk that he does a 20% water change.

Check with Steve or Jake at Preuss too.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Happened to me. But the thermometer was in the sump. It didnt seem to harm anything as i am still finding those **** things down there. But either way they should be removed.

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If it red. Its isopropyl alcohol and red dye, i dont think that would cause too much harn to your tank although would strongly reccomend a 15-20% water change. If its matallic than is mecury. And i say siphon out what you can ( would prolly bead up. But would definately seep into the sand bed if thats where is sunk to). Maybe even remove that parr of the sand bed. And do a masssssiiivvvve water change. (35% weekly)

Sent from my Samsung Smartphone using Tapatalk. When I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.