Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. These are not "free" corals. You are suppose to donate two frags of these to other people on the list.

2. Once you donate your two corals, you're free to sell and or trade these corals with anyone you want for whatever price you would like to put on them.

3. Don't ask the original poster of a PIF to donate more corals.

4. Some PIF corals grow REALLY slow. Be patient. Some corals may take months to be ready to get fragged.

5. Make sure your system can handle whatever PIF coral you're getting. If your coral doesn't survive make sure to let the other PIF members know. It helps us keep track of the frags.

6. If you want to be added to a list, copy and paste the list in a new post with your name added to it.

7. If you sell your entire setup, you should (but don't have to) pass your PIF coral onto the next person in line.

8. If you already have this coral, please don't add yourself to the list. However if you would like to donate an additional coral to a current PIF that is up to you.

9. When creating a PIF remember to start it with 2 frags.

10. If you don't know how to frag this coral ask the person you receive it from, how they did it.

Anyone else feel free to add what you think people should remember when doing a PIF.

G

·
one more is if you are starting the PIF it is a good idea to give general directions on how to frag as we know some people dont know how to frag everything and it makes it a lot easier to keep this moving if the info is easy to get to

between me johnos and a few others we have been trying to get the PIF threads streamlined and moving again as many have prety much died or just gotten forgoten about

so we would like all the help we can get also the more people we get helping out in this the more likly we will be able to get them to give us an actual forum for the PIF as this has been sugested a couple of times

G

·
another thing to think about is 30 miles is about the most anyone should be expected to pick up a frag if you are willing to drive further please post this when you add yourself to the list so we know just do it like this

tazzy695 - willing to drive ##miles

this would also let people know to pass this to you if you are next in line

as we would normal just folow in line strait down the list but sometimes that isn't logical since people are too far apart

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree mostly with this.

with 1 and 2 though not so much. It would be nice if everyone passed two out from what they got, but in all reality if they pass one on that's more coverage than would of happened without them. Sure it might take longer but it's at least going forward. IMO you should pass on at least one and if you do more that's gravy.

Second one, ehh I guess it's ok, but putting rules like that up in there is just giving reason to cause problems, hence rule seven. If you've passed on two in this case and it's yours to sell or do whatever... why would they pass it on?

Rules in general like these here tend to cause problems and take the fun out of something like this. I like PIF's because I get to meet new people, even if it's for a few minutes, they might get to see my tank, I might get to see theirs. with my two cents I'd suggest instead of rules or whatever that is posted here we have an open discussion as this can be to set general expectactions about PIF's. Such as if you start the PIF it is recommended to start with two frags, and anything past that you shouldn't feel obligated to contribute more unless you feel otherwise. I mean if you are starting a PIF for a micro and you only have one frag and it's gonna be a while for more to show up, I can understand only having one and letting it go from there. It will be a lot slower than these PIF's for shrooms and zoo's, but the whole spirit of sharing is there.

I'm happy to see things starting going again and it really is great, just hope with everything the spirit of the PIF is not lost in all the politics of making it stream lined, and taking the fun out of the experience.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think that having the "rules" is more or less to make it less crazy, and have more structure really. I don't think it would make it any less fun, just for the fact that its not like they're very strict, and you have to do this or you have to do that, I think its just more of a structure.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They aren't really rules, just guidelines... I'm not in charge of PIFing on here, so I cannot and will not make the rules, these are just things to remember.

as for 1 and 2, I can see your point about passing on 2 corals, but I thought that was a standard that was written up somewhere... or is it that the person who starts a pif starts with two corals?

I think some people that are doing this as a hobby and not as a means of making money would want to pass this coral on to the next person in line, however if they don't I'm not going to hunt them down and post 1 million times,
"where's the coral?"
"you got it?"
"you sold it?"
"why?"
"you suck!"

Believe me, sometimes I want to. But, what's the point?

G

·
dan the sugestion about passing on your two frags then beeing alowed to sell it just to say that you can basicly do as you please with the coral just folow through with your promise to pass it on to at least 2 people

and the thing about starting a PIF with 2 frags is so that it continues to grow not just go in a strait line you will see the reasoning behind the PIF if you go rent the movie PAY IT FORWARD and this is just an off shoot of what that movie kind of started BY THE WAY THAT MOVIE IS BASED ON TRUE STORY

I mean the hole meaning behind pif is you help 2 people and they help 2 people each and it just spreads bigger and bigger and before you know it everyone is beeing helped all the time

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I saw the movie when it came out, loved it.

I see it's like some big "pyramid" where it grows to hit everyone who wants it, and my own oppinion is that if I have something, have given it to a few people, 2-4 then I'll let my stuff grow out. If someone needs it later down the line, I'm more than happy and willing to give away to someone who's asking for it. Like now, I have some zoo's that I've given away to 3 other people, and I've thought about trading them to some people who asked to trade for them, but I said I couldn't and have given them away and had to trade some of my other corals. I just don't feel morally right selling or trading something I got free. That's something that's a judgement call for each person, it's just how I feel.

As I said above, it's my belief that if we get all these suggestions together and have a couple people "in charge" of organizing it all and get a "general guideline" to follow it'd probably be best, and have it make sure to include that these guidelines are suggested but in no way warrant how you need to treat the PIF.

Because if you see someone selling the PIF as another reefer did, they got flamed, I have no idea if they had given any forward or not, but it didn't seem to matter, all that I kept reading was that selling a PIF was low and their name got dragged through the mud.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm... isn't there a mod that could help us with this...? or should we just discuss and set up our own guidelines...? lol, kinda like we are already doing...

G

·
I agree and that is the reason for the second one to make shure people know that after the second frag given that it is theirs to do with as they please trade sell whatever

now if you recieved a pif frag and sell it instead of doing any of your PIF frags then shame on you

and as for wanting to donate extra frags that is 100% your option

personaly I wouldn't mind beeing a mod over a pif forum basicly just have to make shure everything stays fair

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ditto, it seems odd that we don't see mods in this area too much...

I put a bit of thought into that guideline that would almost ensure that it would be fair for everyone. Plus to keep the PIFs going... it seems a lot of reefers don't want to do the PIFs for various reasons... which I can see why... but, I like sharing the corals I have.

Reactions: Cowboymark

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like the PIF and hope we can continue with it. I took a lot on myself and did a whole bunch of frags and passed them on. Now, I have no frags :( But, that was my choice, I was cleaning house. I think 2-3 frags to start a PIF thread is reasonable. From that point forward people should not bother the PIF starter for more frags. They can and should keep the starter informed of the progress of the frags. perhaps the thread can include pictures of original frags and measurements of the frag including tank params. I realize this puts a lot on the starter but, anyone who wants one can see the placement and info. I hope you get what I am trying to say. I personally would like to know how the frags are doing and how far they will go. Perhaps a little homework for a PIF of the month or year. lets celebrate sharing and caring.
Mark

·
Registered
316 Posts
Johnos said:
Ditto, it seems odd that we don't see mods in this area too much...

I put a bit of thought into that guideline that would almost ensure that it would be fair for everyone. Plus to keep the PIFs going... it seems a lot of reefers don't want to do the PIFs for various reasons... which I can see why... but, I like sharing the corals I have.
I vote for Johnos for mod. I have seen him post on PIF threads and try to get mods to delete ones that are basically done. I think he is a good choice.
That's my 2cents.:p

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool idea, of seeing how far the frags spread over time... would be way cool if we could map it all!!!

oh, and for the more challenging corals we should have minimum tank standards... lighting ect...

that should be up to the starter though.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cowboymark said:
I vote for Johnos for mod. I have seen him post on PIF threads and try to get mods to delete ones that are basically done. I think he is a good choice.
That's my 2cents.:p
I vote Tazzy. :p

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
There's no need to delete previous threads with dead PIF's, that reduces people's post count, which some care about, and also removes all history of the PIF. Locking though, I am in favor of.

As for the PIF Threads, mods, etc... it's been discussed many times, and it's from what I have read, been taken under advisement. Until something is made official though, which may not come for a long time, as these things tend to go in waves, it'd be the best interest of the community to make some guidelines, and get things rolling.. Uniformity is great as it'll help things be easy to track with who gets what next and make sure people aren't being passed up.

It seems that Tazzy, Johnos, and myself have been the major posters, runners, or whatever of these PIF's of late, with Aquanewbie coming in recently.

I'd suggest that the three of four of us pool our archane powers into finishing up the guidelines, maybe we could get something stickied, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good idea, but how about we check with reef120 about that... or another mod...

It seems that Tazzy, Johnos, and myself have been the major posters, runners, or whatever of these PIF's of late, with Aquanewbie coming in recently.

I'd suggest that the three of four of us pool our archane powers into finishing up the guidelines, maybe we could get something stickied, and go from there

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
well wouldn't be anything official, unless they made it so, and the originator would have any rights to say how they feel it should be passed on.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts