Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was debating on the size of the reef tank that I would like to get. I know I want to have an acrylic tank that would be made according to my desired demensions. I was thinking about 120 inches long x 36 inches wide x 27 inches wide = 504 gal. Besides re-inforcing the floor.....any tips / recommondations that I should request the manufactorer do ?

Thank you for your time
Steve

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sounds like a great tank, I just picked up a 120x36x30 tank. I bought mine used, and got a great deal.

I would definitely suggest having overflows installed, and if you plan on having a colored back on it, have them do it. Mine has three small overflows (relative to the tank) and the back is black.

36" Deep is awesome. I love the look they give, and can't wait to set mine up. I'll be taking my time before I set it up though, so I won't have a thread for you to see just yet.

Another thing to consider is acrylic is easy to scratch, so I don't suggest and curves (I.E. Bowfront) or funky shapes... you'll never get the curves and edges clean the way you want and will end up with a million frustration scratches...

Best of luck on the build!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Use energy efficient fixtures and pumps. Go with LED's. Shoot Derek a PM. He has a pretty good hookup on a great line of high par LED fixtures. Worth a shot. Lighting a 10' tank with T5's or Metal halides will end up costing you a small fortune. It did me. I had a tank that size for 4 years and wish like crazy LED's were where they're at today 4 years ago.
Maybe get a couple tunze's or something like that to move the water instead of a huge main pump. No need to run so much water thru your sump. You only really need to put water thru there for your skimmer. So moving water thru there fast serves no purpose. If you have a skimmer that pushes 800 GPH, then get a main pump that pushes 800 GPH thru the sump. The number should be equal or your just moving water for nothing.
Anyway, it looks like your on the right track with the dimensions. This is gonna be a great build...we want lots of pictures!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.