Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about purchasing one for my tank, but have read mixed reviews on marine depot, so I figure I would ask around?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just picked up a set of mp40's gen2 from a fellow MR. I bought them used. The MR had used them for about 8 months. I got them setup and am happy with the upgrade. The options and flow control are a great selling point. If you have the extra $$$ It's a cool upgrade. I run my in a 120g but I need to tune the power down I'm sure they could handle a 180g or more with no problem.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Vortech is the best out there. The reason you read mixed reviews is because people are more prone to make the effort to complain then they are when they are happy.

This is by far the correct choice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I also think they are by far the best choice out there. Great flow, low profile clean look (no wires in tank) and they add no heat to your tank since the motors on the outside, if you use more then one they sync without using wires, fully controllable with diffrent flow patterns... I love em! There is nothing like em' I will use them for as long as I'm reefing.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
MP20 in reef crest mode in a 39gal SPS Cadlights Pro. I love it, it's quiet and creates a ton of flow.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think they are great. If you have a tank with just one in it you will be even happier with 2. They work best in my opinion opposing each other and make the best flow patterns that way.

With just one you can't get the water to really move erratically because they only run in one direction. They push water forward at different speeds, so if you have 2 they can be set to push at each other and make a lot better flow patterns.

Also with just one they tend to need to be mid tank and don't make the surface ripple like it should.

One other thing they don't clog up and have to cleaned. I do mine every 6 months. They have large opennings that help with this.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've always been a hard core Vortech supporter, however recently I've been having a lot of trouble with one of mine. The wetside has been stalling/locking up causing the unit to loose grip and fall off the tank.
This can happen with some pumps, but not with all of them.
The good news is they have good customer service. I have mine at Ecotech now being repaired.

You can't go wrong with the Tunze streams either. I have 2 6105's and I am very impressed with their power. The only thing I don't like about them is the programs they have. I feel like the Vortechs have a better wave program, but either way they are still great pumps.

The best thing about Vortechs are their low profile and very sleek look in the tank. The tunze's really need to be kept toward the back of the tank because they are so much bulkier looking then the vortechs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always been a hard core Vortech supporter, however recently I've been having a lot of trouble with one of mine. The wetside has been stalling/locking up causing the unit to loose grip and fall off the tank.
This can happen with some pumps, but not with all of them.
The good news is they have good customer service. I have mine at Ecotech now being repaired..
I had the same problem and they took great care of me. Steve over there is awesome! They had a bad shipment of the bearings they used and they would swell causing the wet side to lock up. They gave me the new bearing once they figured out the problem and its been perfect since-yes

A+ on customer service, you'll get your money's worth there for sure!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I purchased two of these new about 6 months back. Had the "locking up and falling off" problem with both of them. They were 2nd generation too (if you buy these pumps, make sure they are 2nd generation). The problem ended up being bad bushings. Like the other posters have said, they had great customer service and shipped new bushings right out to me. The only problem I have now is that every once in a while, they get loud and need to be repositioned to cut the noise down.

I do love the flow they put out though. Powerful and wide. I've got two 40's on my 180 and it's perfect.

I've also heard people recommend buying a spare wetside so you aren't without a pump in case they need to be sent in for servicing... FYI...

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
For those that are running the 40MP vortex units, do you use the filter on them or run them bare?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Vortech is the best out there. The reason you read mixed reviews is because people are more prone to make the effort to complain then they are when they are happy.
That's actually not true. A recent British study shows that the average review online gives something like 4.6 out of 5. I can't back up their science, but found it interesting -- and anecdotally I rarely go through a store and see things marked 1 star or 2 stars, the scale seems to be 3-5 stars so you have to adjust expectations with a 3 really being a 1. Oh, statistics!

That said, I love my Vortech, and this is coming from a guy who has had his in repair more than in his tank. When it is working it is fantastic. Excellent flow, very quiet, low profile, zero heat...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
For those that are running the 40MP vortex units, do you use the filter on them or run them bare?
Bob,

I run mine without the filter sponge they send with the pumps. I feel that the sponge clogs up too quickly and needs to be cleaned every couple days. With the pump running bare, I go at least 2 months without having to clean the wetside.

I know it may be excessive, but having a spare wet side for each pump is great. Being able to put the pump in stop mode, pull off dirty wet side, immediately put in clean wetside, and BAM up and running in under 14 seconds. Its like a Nascar pitstop LOL

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I have a 75g and was looking at getting a wave box (tunze nano), do you think this is a better option? Do you think the 40 would be to much. I know they are adjustable. Also do they really make a wave motion or is it just going to be opposing flow? "You" indicates anyone who wishes to answer. And hope these questions help out the op too, thought they are relevant.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
For high end powerheads you're really looking at either Tunzes or Vortechs.

Benefits of Vortech over Tunzes:

-NO power in tank
-little to no heat transfer
-aestheticaly unbeatable
-generally more wide flow
-battery back-up made specifically for the pump

Benefits of Tunze over Vortech

-generally longer time between maintenance
-directable flow (in terms of pump positioning on aquarium - Vortechs are fixed)
-generally more direct flow
-can be connected to different controllers besides Tunze

Both companies have impeccable customer service, both produce great amounts of flow, and both are controllable.

Personally I like Vortechs -yes

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I tried both Tunze and Vortec Mp40 side by side in the same tank, the Vortecs lack of overall flow in a 180 and its vibration made me send it back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Love my Vortech and all the different modes....If I decide to upgrade or downgrade...I know i will have some flexibility...I run mine on Short Pulse mode...Bare...Plus I think the night mode is nice option...

MP40w

1 - 20 of 21 Posts