Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the family and I took a trip out to Preuss' to get some SeaChem Gray Coast sand for the tank today. We were all excited to go and see the store, and just as we hoped for, the store was well stocked, clean, and has a super friendly staff! Logan and Makayla were able to feed the fish in the river, (thanks Rick!) and then I think it was Rick's daughter spent a few minutes talking to the kids about the fish. (Anyone else ever hear of or SEE a RIVER in a LFS?)

Oh, Kirby and the crew in the back were as helpful and courteous as ever, with Kirby MATCHING an online price for the Gray Coast, how cool is that! Not to mention they had TEN bags of it in stock and ready for me to take home. Kirby was kind enough to load it all up on a wheeled cart for me, and then Janet (I think :eek: or was it Karen :confused: ) rang me out and even helped load it all up into my car.

Jake showed me some new (to me) reflectors for T5's that looked pretty cool, they are certainly an option to the IceCap and Tek II. Stock levels in the fish room were very good, and the coral frags were awesome as usual. Stacey really liked the Lyretail Anthias, so I am sure those will be on the short list once the tank is back up and running.

Logan also had a great time in the Bird and "Crawly" Rooms, he was able to listen to a detailed description of some sort of unusual scorpion, and then was treated to being able to hold "Apollo" in the bird room! Logan has been saving his money for a bird, and he sure is good with them, just like he is with reptiles! Logan decided he wanted to take Apollo home, I told him that he better keep saving his money! ;) (Apollo is $1295!!!)

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded, but I was really impressed with my visit, and we will surely be back soon! It helps that we are 10 miles closer now too! -devil

Thanks Again to the Preuss Crew, and keep up the good work!
-Mike

·
Registered
522 Posts
Body Parts

This is a great store, just be prepared to spend an arm and a leg, or leave one of your children. I really liked the homey feel of their old place much better. Guess they gotta pay for the new building somehow. I can assure you it won't be with any of my money.

·
Registered
15,111 Posts
I've been a happy Preuss customer for 10 years now. Love the new store, and didnt notice any difference in prices after they moved into it. I think their sales volume more than pays for the store. Prices have went up everywhere, except maybe a few small businesses transhipping stuff and selling at cut-rate prices. I'll stick with Preuss.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dissagree sbear99, the prices at Preuss may be a few dollars more on this or that, but for the most part they are very competitive. Not only that, but as I mentioned Kirby matched an online price for me.

The new place is WAY bigger/better for me, as the old place was rather PACKED at times, and the added space of new store alleviates that very issue.

Did you know that Preuss' also has a classroom, "meeting" room that they let the local fish club use to hold the club meetings? They have also been extremely generous supporting the club, and they host other events for kids, schools, and during this last visit the pet vets! How cool is that?

I would say that is worth a few dollars premium on a few items here and there in order to help so many others with so much.

Remember price is not ALWAYS king, a successful store will have a balance between price and service, I think Preuss' nails that balance!

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
I have visited Preuss several times since the 210 build.

Very Impressed with the store in general.

Their staff is friendly and I have dealt with Kirky since my first visit.

His attention to customers is top notch.

Then, I was approached by Rick while looking around and asked if there was anything else he could do for me.

If I had any questions or if I needed anything special ordered.

Their prices are very competitive and maybe a $1.00 or $2.00 more.

I much rather spend the extra money and know they have taken the extra measures to pass onto their customers.

" You get what you pay for at Preuss"

·
Registered
477 Posts
I always have gotten unbelieveably awesome service. Sure the prices might be a bit higher than some online stores but those online store still charge an arm and a leg for shipping, etc not to mention I can get what I want at Pruess and take it home with me right then - no waiting for it to show up in the mail or UPS. I personally don't know of many places that are that big (and NICE) that the owner actually walks around and takes the time to just talk to the customers.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. As always, we're happy to hear both positive and negative things about the store so we know what to keep doing as well as what we should consider changing to better satisfy our customers.

Sbear99, I'm sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with the new store. I'm available at your convenience via phone, this thread, or pms if you'd like to share any particular items which you felt were overpriced.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have been a Preuss customer for about 2 years now (they are over 1.5 hours away and I willingly make the trip regularly) and have yet to be unhappy. The first time I went down and JUST got into the hobby Rick (the owner) actually spent over 2 HOURS with me one on one giving me a tutorial of Saltwater and what he felt were vital pieces of info and everything he has told me has been spot on. Nowhere else do I think you could go and get this kind of help. Steve and Kirby have been "tolerating" :-D my calls since then as well and they have never led me astray. Some of their prices are a little higher but as with Poseiden they matched the online pricing with pleasure, they check online to stay competetive and I feel they are well ahead of the game. It's impossible to ALWAYS have the lowest pricing all the time, especially with Michigans "economy" (if you wanna call it that). Kudo's to Preuss on the years of top notch equipment, livestock, and service!!

Andy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Poseidon said:
I would say that is worth a few dollars premium on a few items here and there in order to help so many others with so much. QUOTE]

That quote says it all!
Along with a knowledgable staff and outstanding service there are a few other things to point out. What other pet store in michigan can anyone think of that can compair to Pruess? Ive been to quite a few of them and can not name one. We are not talking about some store here that just sells one type of live animal (try about 30+ ..and thats all I can think of) or has a a staff that is new every week. We are talking about a very large store here with 20(?) employees, each one specializing in a specific area or animal. Pruess not only handles critters and fish, but all the food, toys, medications, equipment, books, ect for every critter they sell. The diversity and quailty of there stock and service is second to none IMO, the equipment they sell is top quality, typically always in stock and they stand behind all of it with fantastic customer satisfaction. The services and participation they offer in practically every type of animal care, club activity, community charity and even local schools is unbelievable (to me) compaired to any small business in todays economy. These are all goods reason why Pruess has been around so long and why they where able to take a run down building and rebuild into a huge new store at a time when Lansing and Michigans economy was already hurting. Its all because of one outstanding person...the owner, he cares about his customers, his employees and his animals. He actally works in his own store. He knows that If you can PROVIDE .. customers will see it and keep coming back. Im willing to pay a few extra bucks to a business like this just to keep it around, rather than some business that could really care less about you (or your pet) and will tell you anything just to make a sale.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks for the good words, everyone. In the interest of full disclosure, Mike, I didn't actually load your sand because I have a bum arm. I made Adrian, one of my merry men do it. Actually, if any of you have a chance, chat up Adrian in the salt room sometime. He used to manage a large LFS in Monterrey, Mexico. He brings a whole new perspective on reefing to our staff!

Also, Mike, we don't have a Janet or a Karen as far as I know. :( I think it was Erin, but I'll look up your transaction in the computer and pass your thanks along to whats-her-name! :D

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! I'm not very good with names Kirby, but you did introduce me to her.... ;)

Thanks again Kirby, Steve, Rick and the rest, you guys are a shining example of what a Pet Store should be!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yeah, that was Erin. We imported her from Seattle (Olympia, actually). She and Sarah are in the living room studying microbiology, so I'll pass along the kudos.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I wish they were closer to me. It might be my favorite store in Michigan. The Fish Tank is a close second and now gets most of my money. Truthfully can't think of one I like better.

Gratious knowledgeable staff, good prices on fish, good prices on corals especially the aquacultured sps, good selection of drygoods, interesting displays. Nice open layout that accomodates lots of customers. When I do go there, I always find something in my price range and buy it.

What more do you want from an lfs except location,location,location.

How about opening a satellite in Oakland County somewhere off M59? Or even 275?:) My son is going to Michigan State this year so maybe I'll have to visit him often and pop in to P's on the way home;) He'll be thrilled with that, eh?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pruess is the first store I went to when I started planning my tank and their help is what has made my tank successful. I love their customer service as they care about their animals and not the money. I have been to other (much closer to me) LFS's that have allowed me to purchase things that did not belong in my tank , I'm guessing just for the $$$$. Being that I still have so much to learn I feel the need to always tell them what I have and be sure that what I want will be okay in my system. The staff at Pruess has always been honest with me if I want something I am not equiped for and I appreciate that..... it keeps me from wasting money and probably has saved the lives of a few helpless creatures! As for being higher priced.......It's a 5 hour round trip for me to go there and I'm willing to pay the gas for the trip so what's couple dollars here or there for something I KNOW is healthy. This is not an inexpensive hobby and I would rather pay a little more for something that I know has been quarantined and verified healthy from experts than to save a buck and have it kill off others in my tank by bringing in some sort of disease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts