Michigan Reefers banner
2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  cg5071 
#1 ·
I'm not necessarily new to the hobby, have had a few different saltwater tanks for the last 7 or so years. Recently had an offer pop up that I couldn't pass up on. A 65 gal acrylic tank, full set up everything came with it for dirt cheap. In the past I've always ran under the tank canisters (Fluval) to great success. This tank however is completely different. It has an overflow that runs the water down to the stand which is basically a big drip filter? The water flows down over levels of bio balls, etc and then pumped back up to the tank. I was hoping somebody could give me a few tips to set up and running this style tank? Should I add more or something different than just the bio ball type media to the filter plates such as carbon? Again this style tank is completely new to me, just hoping for any kind of tip or ideas. I'm in the process of polishing it up now. Thank you I appreciate it!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not much people use bio balls because they a lot of detritus or food would get caught in it and sit and raise nitrates so I would get rid of them. I would also put protein skimmer on the top of the list if you don't have one yet, if this is sectioned you can also make a refugium. Can you post a picture if the sump?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I suppose it depends more on what you want out of this tank. The bio-balls are really quite efficient at making the tank habitable, but at a cost many now consider prohibitive.

Nitrates aren't the menace they once were though...better living through chemistry.
If you see a tank with sand and rock, the balls would be redundant.

#5 ·
Here are some pictures of the sump and tank. There's 3 sections in the sump, but there's holes so the water can flow from one to the other, and 3 levels of trays of bio balls/cubes. I'm unsure how to set this up, if I should try to incorporate carbon or something else in the system? Any input is appreciated, thanks!!

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, scrap bio balls and cubes and replace with live rock rubble. First section Protein skimmer, second refugium, last return pump and heater. I'd section off a narrow forth section for live rock rubble and if you have room, another for media bags of carbon, etc. Refugium will hold miracle mud, some live rock, macro algae and copepods. You mayl have to adjust the heights of the partitions and holes to control flow and water depth. That's some sort of old school wet dry trickle filter. You may be better off starting with something else or make a simple one out of a 20G glass tank with Plexiglas partitions. Lots of plans online. Message me if you'd like a custom acrylic sump built.

#8 ·
Correct. The little cover in the front is probably 12 or more inches wide. Can take the plates and stuff out through there. I know this is older technology, but for the price I was able to get this from a friend I couldn't pass it up. Trying to make it work, just not sure the best way to utilize it.

#9 · (Edited)
Remove the trays and make it a sump - like someone else said, you can put a protein skimmer, etc. in there...these are MUCH better than canister filters. In terms of technology...it went from canister to wet/dry to sumps. Since it is a completely enclosed tank with partitians already in there, you wouldn't need to do much other than purchase live rock rubble and chaeto and remove the bioballs. Great find!

After looking more closely - you'll want to modify the plumbing....the white pipe should dump water in the first section from the main tank...you'll then need a pump and return in the third section pumping water back to the tank.

#11 ·
Thank you all for the input, I appreciate it. I will have to do some planning, but have time since I will be moving into my new home soon. I have plexiglass, pvc, etc in our shop at home so that is definitely a big help.

One more (for now) question...I have seen this both ways, should i, or could I put the heaters in the sump, or is it beat to keep them in the display? Thanks!

#12 ·
...I have seen this both ways, should i, or could I put the heaters in the sump?..
I like them in the sump.

When you are planning your sump layout plan the first section deep enough to hold your heater(s) vertical. You could mount a pair of holders so you can slip them in and out easily.

Remember this: if anything is difficult to remove it will fail early and often. ancient reefing proverb.

#16 ·
That's a great find, especially if cheap. Even 6-7 years ago people were ditching the bio balls. I havnt used them but your set up is great for a refugium or sump. I'd do a refugium as it helps clean and provides food too. Yes, heaters go in there. I'd also add cheto and live rock rubble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.