Michigan Reefers banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week I introduced a new fish I had in qt since the 13th of oct. So today I come home and find that the new fish and my tang have ich. I find myself leaning twards the treat new fish for everything even without visible signs camp more now...This couldn't come at a worse time as I have finals in less than 3 weeks and have just injured myself. So should the fish not fight this off in a day or so, does anyone have a large rubbermaid stocktank I can buy or borrow?
Jen

·
Registered
217 Posts
qt will do nothing for an ich break out in new fish as ich stays in your tanks 100% of the time healthy and un stressed fish will not get ich . the reason he got it when u added him to the new tank is the ich in the qt tank differs from the ich strain in your main tank. i would feed heavily soaked garlic mysis our brine witch ever u use every day soaking it for no less then an hour and over night will be idle. uv would help a lot but still not a 100% and switching him back and fourth might be to much stress for him atm

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already run uv and use garlic. The fish still got sick. I know why it happened I just need help should the outbreak get too bad. I am supposed to go in for a surgical consult as soon as this semester is done.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I already run uv and use garlic. The fish still got sick. I know why it happened I just need help should the outbreak get too bad. I am supposed to go in for a surgical consult as soon as this semester is done.
if u would like i can house him in my 100 gallon sump till hes better what type of fish

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think some of it is because many of us get so busy this time of year we slack a bit in our routine. Im a few days late in my w.c. this week

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one fish I am really worried about is my purple tang. He is still eating and swimming but has a lot of spots on him.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My clown looks to have one or two as does the new blenny. All other fish are showing no signs yet

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can't offer help, only sympathy. I had a week from hell last month, three major crises going on at once. Coping with one is enough, but juggling three can be overwhelming. Hopefully you can get your fish situated this weekend, and get both you and them on the road to recovery. Breathe in, breathe out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is getting worse... the tang is now covered and some of my gobies are breaking out. I am going to have to pull the fish to do a hypotreatment on them it looks like.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I have 110 gal of ro heating. Gonna salt it tonight and begin moving the worst fish out tuesday. I am going to go with hyposalienity because it is bot as harsh and I have some sensitive fish. Here is where I would like some opinions. I am thinking of leaving the mandarins in the tank. I feel it is best for them to be with the live rock. They are showing no signs of ich nor are my other more ich resistant fish. I hope that if I get the tang out and the others that are hosting the ich I can nip this in the bud.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would recommend treating your fish with copper. Hypo seems like a lot of P.I.A. since you have to be perfect etc etc with your readings. And leave your display tank fishless for at minimum 8 weeks. So yes that means your Mandarin will have to go somewhere else. Or else the ich will be busy feeding on it and keep on reproducing. May have to set up a whole different qt tank for it or do the tank transfer method. If someone who knows how to properly deal with the mandarin feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The copper will harm several of my fish. It is just as hard to keep copper at a constant lvl. Either treatment involves removing the fish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had success treating with metronidazole and focus from Seachem. It's a powder dissolved into your frozen food, and I added Garlic Guard everytime. Fed once daily for about a week and a half. No signs of ich anymore; my clown had some teeny dots and my Tomini tang had some white spots on the fins. All looking better than ever. This was after my coral beauty came down with it overnight and had a quick demise. I wish I would have treated sooner. All with higher temps and gradually lowered salinity (not exactly hypo, but I have a lot of corals and no quarantine set up). Don't know if this will work for you...but it treats the fish instead of the water, so it might be fine for your mandarins.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wow, there's still this Ich debate going on. Whoever mentioned Ich is always in your tank so QT is useless. NOT! Wow, mind blown.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Wow, there's still this Ich debate going on. Whoever mentioned Ich is always in your tank so QT is useless. NOT! Wow, mind blown.
I agree. Ich is a parasite that gets introduced and has a life cycle. If you remove all the fish the life cycle breaks and dies off.. Usually takes 6-8 weeks. Copper is much better than hypo and isnt really that hard to maintain levels. I would recommend that for ya.. And leave your tank fishless for 8 weeks.. I went thru this a month and half ago and my fish are still in copper qt tank. I have a full bottle of rubys reef safe kick ich id like to sell cheap if your interested.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts