Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question but thought I would ask.

Would it be possible to run a Dart (3600 gph) on a 37 gallon cube tank? I would spread the flow through the returns through four 1" inch bulkheads. I have the Dart and Overflow kit just sitting around and thought it might be a cool way to get lots of flow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
tommyb said:
This might be a stupid question but thought I would ask.

Would it be possible to run a Dart (3600 gph) on a 37 gallon cube tank? I would spread the flow through the returns through four 1" inch bulkheads. I have the Dart and Overflow kit just sitting around and thought it might be a cool way to get lots of flow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Wow man, that would be off the hook - why not try it. You will have tank turn over of the year.

3600 gph divided by 37 gl = 97.30 times per hour.

GO BB.................

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I would just put a ball valve as a bleed valve cycling back into the sump so you can bleed out any excess, thats what i did with mine, i actually have it feeding a frag tank and a bleed valve just in case the frag tank doesnt relieve enough. Works great, more adjustments you can make, the better you can dial it in imo :) Good luck!

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will give it a try. I will definitly be going barebottom and I will have a fuge under the tank that will have a small amount of water drained into and then the rest into a sump that will be returned by the Dart.

This should be interesting and I will include a ball valve to regulate flow if it is too much.

·
Banned
1,916 Posts
tommyb said:
I guess I will give it a try. I will definitly be going barebottom and I will have a fuge under the tank that will have a small amount of water drained into and then the rest into a sump that will be returned by the Dart.

This should be interesting and I will include a ball valve to regulate flow if it is too much.
Sounds like a great idea Tom.

This is just a suggestion, Instead of ball valves - I would use gate valves.

They are so much easier to control and you will be better off in the long run.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I don't know what a globe valve is, but make sure it is 100% plastic. I like gate valves too, they work much better than ball valves for adjusting the water flow, a ball valve is the best for sealing, but because in the function you are describing, a secure shut off is not your main goal, the goal is adjusting the water flow. Ball valve stink at fine adjustment, but they are needed though if you need a positive shut off.

Dan

FWIIW, I used to work in the oil tool industry and we made very precise gate valves (tolerances of +- .001"), so really it depends on the application.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Globe valves are certainly the better product to use for flow control - but usually at four or more times the cost of a comparable gate valve. I certainly recommend them, but not everyone is willing to spend the money.

How large is the sump you're using? If you're talking about using a sump that would fit below your 37G cube, I would suggest that you choose a new pump.

The flow in the tank is inconsequential - our SPS tank up front has nearly twice this much turnover in it, but the 36" x 16" acrylic sump is barely adequate for the Sequence Dart we're using for it. The pump needs to be throttled back slightly and we must use a filter sock and live rock rubble to eliminate micro-bubbles.

With that much flow in that small a sump, the water simply moves too fast through the sump for any significant bubble diffusion to take place naturally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts