Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello was wondering what everyone thought was a better store to go to? looking for variety of corals and good prices.

i have been to the trop before and it was awsome but i keep hearing about preuss and how great they are.

i live 2 and a half to three hours north of both places and was planning a trip down tomarrow to one or the other so i was just wondering from people who have been to both which one would you rather go to and why?

thanks,

-adam

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that is what i was thinking but then again you could go to the trop 10 times and still not see everything. but preuss looks really cool too. are there any other lfs around the lansing area? i am coming south down 23 from grayling.

was also thinking if i did go back to the trop there are a few other stores on the way i can stop at too.

i have the entire day to do nothing but fish and coral shop so any and all suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Trop

I was at the trop today, they do not have much for SPS.
I was looking at zoos too, but was told that they were $10 a polyp, and all I saw was green and brown. I left with nothing

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
preuss has good frag tanks but most everything else is pretty expensive IMO. the trop has pretty good prices as well and a great variety of frags and colonies. love the combo rocks as well. but thats my IMO

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i am really getting into sps in this new tank and i know that the trop usually does not have a whole lot in the way of sps but i also love zoos and lps too. and the trop is famous for there lps's.

yeah when i went online to look at preuss and what they had it did seem like there prices might be a little higher but it also looked like that had some real healthy livestock too. and i dont mind paying a bit more for a nice healthy peice.

lets keep it going. some one give me a really good reason to go to one or the other. it really ***** living up north with nothing around for a good lfs. but that is probably a good thing otherwise i would be spending all my paycheck everyweek in the fish store:)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looking more for corals than fish but if i found the right fish i would be all over it.

both had some really nice corals on there websites also. does preuss have alot of nice corals in stock? is it some were that i could spend a few hours? or is it a place that you can see everything in 20 minutes? it looks really big on there page.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
in the SW you cna see everything in 20 mins lol jsut a 2 rows of SW tanks and some surrounding tanks with fish. personally i think trop has way more selection and browseability. and if your everin the area moby dicks as good prices on sps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i love going to mobys although the last time i was in there they were in the middle of the switch over with there coral tanks and had most of them up and only one 3 teir tank left. they didnt have much for corals but alot of fish as always.

we still might go that route even if we go to preuss. then swing over to moby dicks and on my way home up 75 take a stop off at reef paridise.

small store but prices and corals are absolutely awsome.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
well i am really getting into sps in this new tank and i know that the trop usually does not have a whole lot in the way of sps but i also love zoos and lps too. and the trop is famous for there lps's.
Sounds like you answered your own question:jester: Preuss is a completely different atmosphere than the trop, it reminds me of an aquarium like you would see on a school field trip. Also, if you're coming from Mio, Inkster is almost an hour further (save the gas and get an extra frag):D If you've never been to Pruess it is a must see!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
they set up another like 8 tanks for corals and have great deals. i was just there today. great experience as always. they have anything from sps-lps-softies

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the info. yeah it is a little over 3 hours to get to the trop from my house. and it is about 2 and ahalf to get to lansing so the difference is not reall all that bad.

but i guess i am going to go to preuss and check it out. i am sure i will be happy. this is going to be my new routine. seeing how the lfs up here are terrible and i refuse to go to them anymore i just save up and now once a month i will make the trip downstate to a reputable store and get everything i can in one trip. it should be like a mini chistmas every month:)

i guess next month i will have to hit up the trop!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Just a heads up. If you're looking for drygoods or lights, preuss is NOT the place to go.

I've been to both, I think the frags at Preuss are... decent priced. Not good... but... not enough that I wouldn't stop it. Of course... I haven't actually bought anything there because of the price...

As for the Trop, they have such a great variety of corals... just a bad layout... IMO. I don't care for the large frag bins... I don't have much to say about the Trop since I've only been there once... but it reminds me of a hillbillys dream setup... but, that's my opinion. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I haven't been to the Trop in a while, but we go to Preuss' pretty regularly (to the point where I wind up with a $10 off coupon pretty often). :D Their prices have come down a lot over the last few years IMHO and I love how they take very good care of their live stock. We've picked up some darn nice "frags" (more like small colonies) in their frag tanks. I like the chill atmosphere and the staff are great. When Rick sees us he always stops by to say, "hello" and converse for a while. Our Son also loves seeing the birds and that huge freshwater puffer. :)
I'd say give Preuss' a try if you've never been there. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
preuss is the sweetest fish store ive ever saw and would stop in there just to see it at least. NICE corals lots of sps and they have no problem stopping what they are doing and talking to you for 20 minutes until u fully understand everything u are asking. good people and anything fish related u need. trop has better prices on fish, huge selection of corals, a lil pricy on corals (but who isnt) as far as learning, not the best place, unless u talk to the owner.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts