Michigan Reefers banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had trumpets for years.
Now my Neon Trumpets heads are detaching.

Anyone have a most likely cause.

All my water specs are inorder.

Did a recent water change prior to this event. The salt is the last of a larger supply I think I've done 3 water typical changes with it.

Thanks for any advice
Dan

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I would guess too much flow or something next to them is stinging it. Depending on which trumpet you have, some seem to do a lot better in lower flow and I have others that can take the heavier flow.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I'm still trying to figure placement out on my neon green trumpet. If you have had them for some time. What if anything have you change recently? Do your bulbs maybe need to be replaced? Just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My water change water is tap(tested no phosphates). The change water was in a mixing tank for 4 days until I got around to doing the change on the weekend. The change water was at same system temperature and salinity when I made the change. It was a 30gal change to a 175 gal system. This is my typical water change method.

My trumpets are 5 years old. 10% of their heads have detached. A pink elegance has also detached (had her for 3 years). All happened at the same time. All my other LPS are fine (Bubble Corals are looking better than ever). The detached trumpet heads appear healthy and are eating.

My water change seems to have sparked this problem, I just thought there must be something I can test for to determine my problem. Or an additive I can use to counter my problem.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
bugs

you add anyting new? you might have some kind of bugs. get coral rx or iodine and dip it. i do iodine when they get stung and the always make a come back.

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
I'm still trying to figure placement out on my neon green trumpet. If you have had them for some time. What if anything have you change recently? Do your bulbs maybe need to be replaced? Just throwing out ideas.
they do well any where but i found the do best low med flow,

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
My water change water is tap(tested no phosphates). The change water was in a mixing tank for 4 days until I got around to doing the change on the weekend. The change water was at same system temperature and salinity when I made the change. It was a 30gal change to a 175 gal system. This is my typical water change method.

My trumpets are 5 years old. 10% of their heads have detached. A pink elegance has also detached (had her for 3 years). All happened at the same time. All my other LPS are fine (Bubble Corals are looking better than ever). The detached trumpet heads appear healthy and are eating.

My water change seems to have sparked this problem, I just thought there must be something I can test for to determine my problem. Or an additive I can use to counter my problem.
The problem with tap water is it is ever changing. There may be more impurities in it today than there was a week ago and vis versa. Not to mention if it is city water, then there is always the potential of harmful chemical additives to suppress bacteria and sterilize the water for drinking. In most cases the water we drink really isn't healthy for us to be doing so but we do it anyway. It is especially not healthy for tank addition. Some can get away with it while others would never have success. I wouldn't even think about using my city water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trumpets and elegance have been in the same spots for a 2 years now(well now they are in my frag tank).

I did add two new fish at the same time of the change. A Coral beauty and a Schooling Bannerfish. The Banner did nip at the trumpets until I move him out of the tank a day later. At first I though the Banner ripped the elegance and first trumpet head off but it has continued with him(banner) not in the equation.

So my detachments happened on day 2, day 10 and now today day 21.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jessemac,

Hate to say it but I too have been suspecting a bad batch of city water. I have an RO unit that I shelved a few years ago when I tested felt my tap water was good enough.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Hopefully that is all it was and a few nice size water changes using RODI water will bring things around and keep the corals healthy.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yep sounds like something in the water I would run some fresh carbon to hopefully absorb some of what ever it is, that would help if it's metals of some sort,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I started running carbon after the second group of heads popped off, just in case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts